Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,629   Online: 1071

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gossens made a metering back for LF cameras a while back.

I have one for 4x5 and it is quite nice. You can use a spot metering stick to move the meter around on the GG to position it perfectly for your subject.

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Charlie, I had one once. To my style of working they seemed awfully fiddly compared to simply pointing a good spotmeter. Granted for some, the fiddlier the better, but to me it seemed un-elegant. This in no way addresses your question I suppose but to make one of these systems affordable in the numbers it would be produced would be the biggest surprise of all.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a Minolta light meter with the Minolta Booster II adaptor for ground glass readings. I don't use it much, mainly because I rarely do anything that requires it.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The read-through-glass gadgets from Minolta and Gossen were tough, in that the ambient light DID make a difference. The Off the film plane readers from SInae were awesome. Since I stopped shooting LF chromes, I haven't missed 'em.

For negs, I think a sane system of exposure makes an simple incident or spot reading system more than adequate. I don't base my exposure on the bitter end of the toe, so even a wild guess with kentucly windage makes superb negatives. I don't think there is need for GG focus any more.

Of course, if one were shooting LF chromes for magazine advs, that's a different problem. Then composing to fit the printer's window is the issue.... and if a photographer knows how to do THAT, computing a simple exposure isn't much of a problem.

d
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    For negs, I think a sane system of exposure makes an simple incident or spot reading system more than adequate. I don't base my exposure on the bitter end of the toe, so even a wild guess with kentucly windage makes superb negatives. I don't think there is need for GG focus any more.

Of course, if one were shooting LF chromes for magazine advs, that's a different problem. Then composing to fit the printer's window is the issue.... and if a photographer knows how to do THAT, computing a simple exposure isn't much of a problem.

d
    Don,
    I totally agree with you and Jim that they are gadgets that for the most part are not necessary. They have had their 15 minutes of fame.

About 90 percent of my camera work WAS involved with LF Transparancies and fitting products into "printers windows". At times with matte boxes for multi imaging to add to the confusion.

The Calumet device I used was like a film holder, it slowed things down a bunch and did not provide me with a proof to bounce off an art director. Polaroid was my crutch and answer for that one.

During my search on the internet I discovered that my brand new Gossen
    Ulta Pro has been discontinued. Darn the luck, it's only been 25 years since I purchased it, and now they have replaced it with more geejaws. I expect the next thing I learn is that Wollensak has quit making Velostigmats!

Well better shut up for now, I have to go make out an order to J&C for 500 sheets of 8x10 Dupont Velour Black grade 2........................:-)

Thanks everybody for your input!!!

Charlie..................................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    .... edit...

Well better shut up for now, I have to go make out an order to J&C for 500 sheets of 8x10 Dupont Velour Black grade 2........................:-)

Thanks everybody for your input!!!

Charlie..................................
    If you get hold of that Velour Black, see if you can reach Gene Smith and tell him he owes me a bottle rum.

don
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have used the Horseman meter - it works like a film holder but only meters an area in the center - about the same area as 6x9. Meter readings were good for the times I used it. It is about 50% bigger than a film holder, so it was not something that I took into the field. I still use it if I am doing a set up where I want to double check because of bellows extension.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    If you get hold of that Velour Black, see if you can reach Gene Smith and tell him he owes me a bottle rum.

don
    Funny isn't it that Varilour has magically reappeared under the Adox name and at a lower price than almost all its competitors - not that I'm complaining!

More to the point - how did Gene Smith end up in debt to you for a bottle of rum?

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb

Thanks for the input, I somehow have trouble understanding how good and well thought out systems can just disappear. Perhaps a new accessory will be introduced to LF'ers tomorrow.

Charlie............................
    It's all in the marketing. Think about all the crap sold out there thats not really neccesary but hyped like heck in the media. You get buyers. Then theres the good gear sold by word of mouth but not really marketed hard. They might evaporate overnight if the financing powers that be aren't convinced of a new sale overnight. Sad but true.
    Gary Beasley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin