Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,329   Online: 976

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you post a picture of the camera with the associated pinholes? I am just wondering cause patching pinholes is a pretty straight forward process, I have done it on several cameras over the years and never really had any problems at all with them. Have you put a flashlight(torch) inside the bellows to see how much actual light is leaking?

I am just a curious sort, so thought I would ask.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave I havent put a flashlight inside but I can clearly see light coming in when I focus at 2.5 feet, take off the lens and look inside. Heres a snap of one of the small holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pinholes.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Fintan,

Those types of hole are actually pretty simple to repair, I use what we call gaffers tape here in America, it is a non-residue tape that works very well for this type of repair I have done it on several graflex cameras and have been shooting them for years with no problems at all and the tape I use is black, so it blends very well with the bellows, that would at least get you going until you can get the camera in to have new bellows made for it. By the way, gaffers tape works great for redoing the hinge tape on film holders.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

repair

Fintan-I found some very cool stuff at a diving shop here in the states. I'm sure you can find it. It's called Aquaseal-a urethane adhesive and sealant. Reason I like this so much is that after it dries it is flexible as in bellows-flexibel. You must wait until it is dry and that might take several days. But it works very well....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Dave, thanks for the post.

I think I'll have to have a go at that, my seller thinks it got damaged in transit, which I'd say is quite unlikely but the implication probably is it's not his problem.

Fintan

BTW The groundglass screen could do with replacing so I'll be back to you when I know more about what to ask for etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan
    Hi Dave, thanks for the post.

I think I'll have to have a go at that, my seller thinks it got damaged in transit, which I'd say is quite unlikely but the implication probably is it's not his problem.
    Fintan,

I would have a very difficult time saying that is transit damage....but it looks to be normal wear and tear for an older camera, the weak spots in bellows are of course the folds, if you got a good price on the camera and it works for what you want to do, I would probably look into new bellows or put some gaffers tape over the pinholes and get on with shooting.

When your ready for a new screen, just let us know, I have the measurements on file for the Linhofs, so would not be difficult to get one made for ya!

Have fun, LF is a lot of fun and will open your eyes to a different world!

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For smaller pinholes I scrub artist's black liquid acrylic paint into the inside of the bellows with a well-used soft toothbrush. I've had a "temporary" black crepe paper tape patch on my old flatbed 5x7 for 30 years. With the acrylic paint on the inside, it still is lighttight. Try any of the suggestions on this thread before replacing the bellows. If they don't work, you've only lost a little money and some shooting time. If they do work, you've saved plenty of money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Have fun, LF is a lot of fun and will open your eyes to a different world!
    Dave
    I've a real bad feeling I'm going to be seriously hooked on this

I'll keep the camera, patch the bellows, give crap feedback on the seller, and probably replace the bellows in a while.

Thanks for all the replies.

First thing I would do is try to repair the bellows - it really is not that hard to do - either from the outside with black tape (not the prettiest solution) or from the inside with white glue mixed with black paint - that typically does the job done - just make sure you let the glue dry overnight before folding up the bellows:-)
    If that does not work then a new bellows from camera bellows in the UK works best - they are great people. I was the one David referred to - I needed a new bellows the next day and gave them a call - and indeed they had it at my door in the US at 11am the next day.
    Replacing the bellows is not very difficult - just take your time - on the TEchIII the bellows has to be glued to the rear frame - there is a website somewhere (I can't find it right now, but will keep looking) that describes exactly what the steps are to do this. For glue I use Pliobond or any regular cement-type glue will do - I just like Pliobond because it is easier to work with. Make sure the seam of the new bellows ends up at the bottom side once installed.
    BTW the pinholes did NOT happen during transportation - no way. They were there when the seller posted the camera on eBay.
    Good Luck

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan
    Thanks for all the replies. I've just emailed them.

I'm wondering if I could replace it or would I have to send them the camera?

Thats the dilema I have John,
    Fintan,

Sorry for the delay. I missed seeing that you had asked me a direct question. When I bought a new bellows for my Technikardan, Camera Bellows asked me to send in the old bellows, not the camera. They made the new bellows using the frame from the old bellows. Naturally it fit perfectly.

Being new to Large Format at the time and having heard that the Technikardan was prone to bellows problems, I asked their advice as to how to avoid similar damage in the future. They were happy to give advice, which in that case was to remove the bellows rather than turn each standard 90 degrees per Linhof direction. You do this on the TK by flipping four levers and lifting out the bellows, nothing difficult.

I don't know if your model has any quirks in the design that cause holes, but it is a common enough camera that they would probably know and respond if asked.

Good luck.
    John Powers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin