Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,207   Online: 943

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan Young
    What size shutter would it require to be allowed to breathe freely?

It seems that Kodak, despite not being especially adventurous with lens designs, refined already existing designs into world beaters - just look at the commercial Ektars - certainly one of the Kodak f7.7s is on my list and I may end up buying one if I can find a nice one at a good price.

Thanks for your help,

Lachlan
    Sigh. The only lenses made in the past decades have been chosen for economy of manufacture, not potential quality.

Roll back the clock, you'll find Rochester the hub of the finest optical work the world has seen, Kodak at the center. It will be an interesting bit of research: look into the interesting career of Ruldoph Kingslake.

Despite the needs of marketing, not much worth mentioning has been done in LF lenses since Kodak farmed out the end of their lens making to to Germany, to help get the optical firms back on their feet after WW2.

Folks are eager to be snobs: jump at heliars, manufacture romance. Goodness knows nothing good can come from rochester.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    My most expensive lens, a 19 inch Dagor, is by no means my favorite lens, although I bought it because I had to see if there was any 'magic' in this particular lens and focal length. I tend to prefer my 600mm Fuji over it as far as the image it makes, and it is more compact.
    My favorite lenses for 11x14 currently include an old 265mm French barrel lens, maker unknown (?Protar derivative), 300mm Wollensak wide field raptar, and 360 Goerz process lens with a blue dot (Trigor type?). These lenses are all found by trial and error, but comparing a lot of lenses leads one to find these very special but relatively unkown types of lenses.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Most of the lenses I own fall in that price range, or below.

Oddly enough most of my "modernish" lenses are Schneiders!

But it's still easy to find a cheap 121mm Leitmeyr Wide Angle Anastigmat (Angulon clone) in shutter, lots of different barrel lenses, or even good uncoated Heliars for less than $200. The trick with Heliars is to buy a Voigtlander Bergheil camera with it - my 150mm and 120mm both came with cameras, both at around $100...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    If you don't have a decent normal lens yet for your 4x5, concentrate on getting one before going farther.
    I already have an Ektar 127mm f4.7 which came with the camera and is aligned with the ragefinder.

You asked about Heliars. Heliar is a Voigtlaender trade name. Before Cosina bought the right to use V's trade names Heliar usually meant a 5/3 very nearly symmetrical lens. Few other makers used the formula. Dallmeyer Pentacs are f/2.9 Heliar types. EKCo made a handful: 50/4.5 & 75/4.5 Enlarging Ektars;, 63/8 Microfile Ektar; 100/3.5 & 105/3.7 Ektar. There are some heliar formula process lenses, all f/9 or thereabouts, quite narrow angle, and nearly always found in barrel. Sounds odd, but Voigtlaender's Apo Skopar process lenses are heliar types.

If you want a Heliar that will cover 4x5, you'll have to buy a Voigtlaender Heliar. Or an Apo Lanthar. Out of your price range and way out of your price range, respectively.
    Better go Bergheil hunting then...

There's a pretty little 165/6.3 CZJ Tessar closing tomorrow on eBay. Too exensive for me (to give you an idea, the last /6.3 Tessar I bought was a 150 CZJ in barrel, 1912 vintage, that cost 16.05 euros plus postage, the one before was a 5 3/8" B&L in Compound, also 1912 vintage, that cost $25 at a camera show) but it might do for you IF you have a shutter you can hang it in front of. If not, don't buy it.
    The Jena tessars seem to have a good reputation - will look into the one you recommended. I have also found an ektar 203mm in good condition for less than £100 so I might just buy it instead!

Thanks,

Lachlan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Since you asked for Heliar-types...here is another unusual option: If barrel lenses are ok for you, the "Meopar" enlarging lenses from Meopta (Czech Republic) were Heliar (Dynar, to be exact) types and were made in focal lengths up to at least 210mm. These often go dirt cheap, since old enlarging lenses that are not six element types are frowned upon. For completeness, the Belar and Anaret lenses from Meopta are Tessar types, and the Meogon is a six-element Plasmat or double Gauss. According to Meopta, the "Correctar" lenses are also Heliar types, but I could not check that myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting suggestion Arne, how well do the enlarging lenses you mentioned do as taking lenses? I ask because the enlarging lenses I've shot at distance -- focal lengths ranging from 80 mm to 150 mm -- were just awful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan Young
    The absolute maximum I would be willing to pay is £100-£120. The specific focal lengths I am interested in are 150mm-210mm. I am looking for a general purpose lens with a 'look' similar to that obtained with heliar type lenses. I am also looking for a tessar type lens of about 200mm focal length.

All help much appreciated,

Lachlan
    I'm not sure what that is in American -) The Fujis in the 150mm range I think are in your budget. IIRC the slower F/6.3 [something like that] is a tessar. The faster isn't. Older Xenars can often be had for much less money. The Fujis usually sell for a good deal less then the other brands. I can sort of understand for the models mounted in Seiko shutters but all the Fujis seem cheaper on the used market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps I'm misguided. I've a bunch of Ilex glass & shutters. I really like them...
    Jeff Bishop

"It's light and nothing more."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Interesting suggestion Arne, how well do the enlarging lenses you mentioned do as taking lenses? I ask because the enlarging lenses I've shot at distance -- focal lengths ranging from 80 mm to 150 mm -- were just awful.
    Dan, I haven't done any rigorous testing on these, but I think they are not bad as taking lenses. I own a 180 and a 210mm one, and I did check the 180mm a little bit. Wide open (4.5) I could get close to 30lp/mm in the center and in the corner about 20lp/mm on the groundglass (Bosscreen, using the Putora sharpness indicator). Contrast was good. Out of focus areas are very smooth both behind and in front of the focus plane. Since I own some Voigtländer Heliars, I did not really pursue having them mounted in a shutter. I don't remember exactly what I paid for these, but it was somewhere between 20-30$ each.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lachlan

Have sent you a PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin