Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,460   Online: 939

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Light Meter

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have used a Pentax Analog Zone VI modified meter for 20 years. When Calumet stopped selling Zone VI modified meters last year, I purchased a Pentax Digital modified meter on EBay for a backup. I like the analog meter better. I also have a Gossen Luna Pro SBC that I use for 35mm photography. The Gossen is good for incident readings and would be great for BTZ users.

John

Shooter
    Medium Format

Second that...

I agree with David on the Gossen Digiflash. Although small, it's dead on for reflected, incident, and flash readings; has a thermometer and alarm. Best of all, there is a standard 1/4" female tripod screw fitting on the bottom. Couple this with a Manfrotto 3298 shoe adapter for Nikon ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=92403&is=REG ) and you have a very convenient attachable flash to a body hot shoe or grip shoe.

Another winner is the Minolta Spotmeter F. A 1 degree field that averages, stores in memory, and computes flash as well. Can be picked up quite reasonable on the bay and other places.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT90001b.jpg  
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    Used Weston Master (III, IV, V, Euromaster) for many years, favorite now is Sekonic L308 (silm and easy to operate), also have Gossen Digiflash, which is fantastic for its size, however, as it is small, so are the figures on the dial, and you need to transfer the reading from one dial to another manually
    My favorite meter is still a Weston Master II. The Master III is also good. The GE DW-48, DW-58, and DW-68 might not be a sensitive nor as compact, but usually suffice. Even the original Weston Master is quite functional, but is as bulky as the above mentione GEs. The GE PR-1 is compact, but less sensitive than the Westons. A Norwood Director with all accessories is an odd, but versatile, meter. The GE has one advantage over the Westons and Norwoods: the axis of the meter movement is vertical, so a slight imbalance of the armature is not the problem it is with the others.

All of these meters have selenium cells, and don't require batteries. The most common failures are armature imbalance, selenium cell failure, or, in the Weston, an occasional failed soldered connection. However, they are usually reliable. I've had more problems with newer meters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen
    I have used a Pentax Analog Zone VI modified meter for 20 years.
    John
    I got my first Pentax Spot Meter 30 years ago and loved it. But it went the way of all things, so I replaced it with a Pentax digital in the late 1970s and it is still going strong.
    If you can relate to using a spotmeter, either Pentax, digi or analog will work beautifully.
    Regards,
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all, I have a Zone VI modified Soligor with that leather holster I bought from Fred Picker a long time ago and it works great and is very accurate. I also have a Sekonic Studio Deluxe and a Sekonic L206, which doesn't have a battery; the old battery was mercury.

I am trying to get a Metered Light Pocket Spot but they are not available and I don't know if I will be able to get one. I would feel better if I had a backup meter that was as accurate as the Soligor but a little smaller. I took a look at the Spectra-Cine Digital Spot but at over a grand it's out of the question. I do like the Sekonic meters but the corrected Zone VI Soligor reads through filters and is color blind.

Curt

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I feel the best spot meter is the Metered Light POCKET SPOT. It is the size of a match book, and is by far my favorite piece of equiptment I own. They read a greater range of EV values (lower light and brighter light) and they are also color corrected, so you can meter dirrect thru your filters to get the correct exposure. Not to mention they are also a solid block of aluminum and are nearly indestructable.

The downside to the meters....they are VERY difficult to find. Metered Light company only makes so many each year, and they usually sell out right away. My suggestion, get their number off the site and call them every single day for several months until you finally get lucky to catch someone there. It took me nearly 6 months to get in touch with those people, just to get on a waiting list for the meter. However...I finally got one!

www.MeteredLight.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Currently using a Sekonic L-358, which meets my needs for several different cameras, not just large format. Works well under low light conditions, and I like the flash to ambient and memory storage features. The optional spot metering attachments are nearly as large as the meter, so I would not pick this combination for a compact set-up, though the L-358 by itself is a reasonable size.

I saw that Sekonic updated their 398 recently, which is a very long running old style type of meter. Some prefer that reading a scale, compared to squared off numbers on some new meters.

Really small are the Gossen Digi6 and DigiFlash, which you could wear around your neck nearly without noticing them. Price level is quite nice for new gear. Unfortunately, no spot metering option.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sekonic L-608

I have used many meters over the last 30 odd years, and purchased a Sekonic L-608 about five years ago. use it for everything, but I carry an older Weston as a backup in the field
    Ross

Shooter
    Large Format
    Zone VI digital. Simple and accurate.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Another vote for the Pentax digital spot meter. Accurate, durable and couldn't be easier to use. I have two, a Zone modified version which I use routinely; the other is unmodified, kept as a spare.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin