Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,633   Posts: 1,648,075   Online: 957

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light Meter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Light Meter

Looking for the best light meter lead me to a dead end.

What's the best light or one that you think is the best?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Used Weston Master (III, IV, V, Euromaster) for many years, favorite now is Sekonic L308 (silm and easy to operate), also have Gossen Digiflash, which is fantastic for its size, however, as it is small, so are the figures on the dial, and you need to transfer the reading from one dial to another manually

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I purchased a used Pentax/Zone VI modified spot meter that I like very much. Compact, accurate, easy to use, and tough: it survived falling out of my vest pocket into a pond!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePhoto
    I purchased a used Pentax/Zone VI modified spot meter that I like very much. Compact, accurate, easy to use, and tough: it survived falling out of my vest pocket into a pond!
    I like mine, too!
    Would always recommend it.
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It all depends what your photographic interest are, and what sort of equipment you want to use it with IMHO. I know we all have our favorites that work for us, and you will probably get almost as many opinions as we have members.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gossen Lunasix 3. Industry standard for many years. I still use one as my main handheld meter. I have a 7 and 15 degree spot attachment for it. They are available on ebay for reasonable $$.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I carry two meters. One is a Gossen LunaPro SBC, for general use. The other is a Sekonic L-508, for spot readings; it also doubles as a great incident meter and as a flash meter for (the rare times) when I use strobes. I could probably live with just the Sekonic. It's really a great meter. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my little Sekonic L-328 flash meter, works great, small enough to carry in my pocket and never lets me down, I used to carry a Minolta III and it was two bulky, I also have a Soligor Zone modified spot for times that require it.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 4x5" landscape work, I have been using the Pentax Digital Spotmeter for years and find it to be perfect for outside situations. I purchased a Sekonic 558R Dualmaster for studio work last year to replace an old and inaccurate Gossen Luna-Pro F and absolutely love it. Light meters have definitely gotten better over the years.
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had every manner and brand of meter go through my hands over the years and they all had their own positive features. I've become most comfortable and had the most consistent, predictable results with incident metering. The meter that I use the most is the Sekonic L-718. It seems to be less known but is really full-featured and reliable. They're also seen going through the auction site at moderate selling prices. I keep the 5░ spot attachment in my bag for occasional use but would guess that 95% of the time, it's in incident mode. It has flash capability, multiple sensor covers (reflective, directional incident, dome incident + the mentioned spot attachment). The spot attachment angle is a bit wide at 5░ but when needed, it seems easy enough to work around that factor. Here's a quick-guide showing its primary features:

Sekonic-L718

The analog scale is quite easy to do basic zone work on, too. The important factor to me is that with chromes, the results have been dead-on accurate. It's also very intuitive and logical in operation and the most-used functions are very easy to operate without distraction.
    Craig Schroeder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin