Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,224   Online: 769

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ryan, I haul mine around in a bag left over from one of those easy-up canopy's. Plenty of room and a nice quality canvas bag. That said however, on a recent trip down into the "Racetrack" in death valley with Phil Kember it was noted that on the road down into hell, 55 miles of the most teeth grinding washboard ever invented by Satan himself, my tripod DID suffer some loss of finish from chafing while Phils which was safely snuggled in the gorgeous Ries bag was as good as new.

My smaller Gitzo was nearly destroyed.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ryan, If you're just trying to get it to iceland and back... not carry it in a case while there what about just wrapping it in a bunch of bubble pack, use duck tape to keep it all together and put it on the plane. When you get there just cut the bubbles/tape off and your good to go. I saw a guy ship his bike this way the last time I was flying.

Now off topic but if you're going with Michael and Paula, don't they ship their truck over. Maybe you could store it inside the truck .
    -Rob Skeoch

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Look and see if you can find a Bogen tripod bag. I picked up one when I was still working in the camera store, for a substantial discount. They might have one that fits your Ries. The bag is big enough to fit my 3036 legset with a 3047 head, as long as I remove one of the pan/tilt handles.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Ryan if you tell me what you are looking for I can make one for ya.

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch
    Ryan, If you're just trying to get it to iceland and back... not carry it in a case while there what about just wrapping it in a bunch of bubble pack, use duck tape to keep it all together and put it on the plane. When you get there just cut the bubbles/tape off and your good to go. I saw a guy ship his bike this way the last time I was flying.

Now off topic but if you're going with Michael and Paula, don't they ship their truck over. Maybe you could store it inside the truck .
    -Rob Skeoch
    Rob,

The problem is, I need a bag to get the tripod to Iceland, and then checking it back on the plane when coming back home. I dont want to carry abunch of bubble wrap around with me for 2 months photographing.

All of my 8x10 gear is going in Michael and Paula's trucks for being shipped to Iceland, but since I only have one tripod...I'm keeping it to use with my 11x14. The trucks have to be shipped about 3-4 weeks before we arive, so I'm not going to have any of my 8x10 gear for almost a month!

Everyone I talked to that owns a Ries Tripod bag seems VERY happy, but damn...at 250.00 that is quite high. I found a bag on Ebay that seems to fit the tripod perfect, so I'm going to give that a try. If I find its just cheep quality bag, I will just fork out the money for a real Ries bag.

Thanks everyone,

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh
    Rob,

The problem is, I need a bag to get the tripod to Iceland, and then checking it back on the plane when coming back home. I dont want to carry abunch of bubble wrap around with me for 2 months photographing.

All of my 8x10 gear is going in Michael and Paula's trucks for being shipped to Iceland, but since I only have one tripod...I'm keeping it to use with my 11x14. The trucks have to be shipped about 3-4 weeks before we arive, so I'm not going to have any of my 8x10 gear for almost a month!

Everyone I talked to that owns a Ries Tripod bag seems VERY happy, but damn...at 250.00 that is quite high. I found a bag on Ebay that seems to fit the tripod perfect, so I'm going to give that a try. If I find its just cheep quality bag, I will just fork out the money for a real Ries bag.

Thanks everyone,

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net
    Ryan,

Yes the Ries tripod bags are expensive. However, I have the one for my H100. They are extremely well made, heavily padded, and designed for your tripod with the head. I will say, they are the nicest tripod bags that I have seen. The only tripod bag that may approach the quality of the Ries bag is my Gitzo bag for my new 1257LVL with Markins M20 Ball Head.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Ryan,
    Well that makes a lot of sense but $250 for a tripod bag would be a real drag.... if I was going to spend that much on a bag I'd consider shipping my 8x10 tripod over with the truck.... taking the $250 and putting it towards a new tripod to use with the 11x14. Then you would have sticks in Iceland, sticks for the 11x14 before you leave, and a backup tripod in the end.
    I realize $250 wouldn't go to far against a new Ries but maybe you could suffer through with a Berlebach for a few weeks since it's just a backup.
    Just a thought, of course money seems easier to spend than get, especially when it's someone elses cash.
    I hope you have a great week.
    -Rob Skeoch
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    PS. Funny that I would suggest a new tripod .... since I sell them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Ryan,
    Well that makes a lot of sense but $250 for a tripod bag would be a real drag.... if I was going to spend that much on a bag I'd consider shipping my 8x10 tripod over with the truck.... taking the $250 and putting it towards a new tripod to use with the 11x14. Then you would have sticks in Iceland, sticks for the 11x14 before you leave, and a backup tripod in the end.
    I realize $250 wouldn't go to far against a new Ries but maybe you could suffer through with a Berlebach for a few weeks since it's just a backup.
    Just a thought, of course money seems easier to spend than get, especially when it's someone elses cash.
    I hope you have a great week.
    -Rob Skeoch
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    PS. Funny that I would suggest a new tripod .... since I sell them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin