Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,382   Online: 737

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Motamedi
    This is the problem with these lenses, or at least the ones I have used; really serious FLARE.
    Jason, one of my pen-pals, an english professional photographer, told me once that he'd used a 6" f/2.5 TTH and that he regarded it as the epitome of soft (my words, not his) when shot near wide open. I gather that one man's soft is another's interesting.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dan,

Based on my use of 6 1/2" and 7 3/4" (?) Speedics I would have to agree. At full aperture these lenses--at least the ones I have used--were pretty soft; my f2.7 Tessar is sharper. No noticeable halation or aberrations. I suppose it has its appeal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    df, you're being more arithmetically challenged than usual. The VM shows what it says is a Speedic cross-section. Four air-spaced elements, eight (8! Count them! 8!) air-glass interfaces. The classic triplet has three air-spaced elements, six (again, 6!) air-glass interfaces.

Cheers,

Dan
    Thanks.

The outer surfaces need to be counted, of course, and I assumed them.

The thing that usually interests me with fast lenses is transmission, and I start counting furiously to get a grip on how much light is going to be bouncing around inside the lens when I want to be making a picture.

Thinking about the problems of shooting the Speedic - and other pre WW2 uncoated 'speed' lenses - distracted my numerical attention. Good thing this keyboard isn't a table saw.

df
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    ...Good thing this keyboard isn't a table saw...
    Indeed! I would be fingerless by now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin