Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,603   Online: 1243

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If there's any lens I dislike, it must be the 14" Petzval. Because I don't have a camera big enough to mount it uet with a film size small enough to use it!

The 12" "Cabinet" petzval, however, is a lovely lens. It fits two of my "big woodies".

And the Schneider Gottingen Aerotar 500mm f:5;5 - it's big, fat, heavy beyond reason, and a tele lens to boot. I dislike the jammed mounting flange on it - it means it won't sit still in an iris mount. The lens is quite likely to be very good, though.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Arne, I didn't think you could surprise me. Wrong again.

I'm with you, ApoTessars seem more likely, but fast, relatively, Tessars of those lengths were made.

The VM, which isn't always right, mentions 23.25" Tessar IIb and 20" Ic pre-WWI. Krauss 500/4.5 Tessars keep surfacing.

Not directly relevant, but I have a Boyer catalog sheet from 1982 that mentions 600/4.5 and 700/6.3 tessar type Saphirs.

Cheers,

Dan
    Dan, I have an advantage in having sources in addition to the VM. I did a short check in there before I answered. There is a guy in Germany, Hartmut Thiele, who researched the old production lists of Zeiss in their archives. The result of this effort of several years are several books that cover all the serial numbers and main data of the Zeiss photographic lenses (East and West) from around 1890 to 1997 (3 volumes) and an additional volume on Voigtländer lenses. They are essentially printed spread sheets. There are holes in there, because paperwork got lost over many years and 2 wars, and he tried to fill these with information from collectors. All in all it is a substantial data base. He also has some other books on German lenses in general. In addition, I have material I copied when I was at the archives myself, including a partial book manuscript from Ernst Wandersleb (initially Paul Rudolphs assistant and later the head of Zeiss' photo optics department) covering the Tessar development in detail.
    I know that there were long Tessars beyond the usual 360mm (I think some where used for aerial photography in WWI) , but they are quite rare and the focal lengths are different (e.g. 500mm), whereas the 450 and 600mm where typical for the process lens and Apo-Tessar range throughout their production time (140, 180, 240, 300, 360, 450, 600, 750, 900, 1200mm).
    Thieles books do not cover the licensed production and I forgot about that possibility.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hermagis Eidoscope. Completely awful.
    All Gundlach lenses! Especially the stupid ill conceived HYPERION.
    Veritos. Blaaa
    Vitax. a real POS
    Petzval's : any. They suck like the Military Service.
    Pinkham & Smith! Nasty! The only thing worse is a Cooke. Any Cooke. They make me want to puke.
    Voigtlander. They haven't made a decent lens yet. They all suck. Except maybe the uncoated f4.5 Skopar. That's a valuable lens.
    Bausch & Lomb. What a pile of refuse.

I agree entirely Jim, but being a good friend to all, if you'd pay the shipping (oh, heck, I'd split it with you), you can send all that junque here and clear your decks for some real lenses. Really, I would do that for you.

Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Arne, Charlie Barringer lives quite near me. When he's at home we talk a couple of times a week. And he also has the Thiele books. But just now he's away so I can't consult him.

As I keep saying, the VM is incomplete, occasionally incoherent, sometimes inconsistent, often incorrect, and on the whole invaluable.

When there are libraries one doesn't have to own every book that's been published.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am suprised that no one has yet to mention the dreaded Wollensak Oscili-Raptar. Yeow!
    -- If film is dead, then how come I can't buy a Leica for 20 bucks? --

Mark Greenberg
    Editorial & Commercial Photographer
    www.markgreenbergphoto.com

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin