Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,045   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

what lenses do you dislike?

This is in response to the 'good lenses from unclean brands' thread. It appears people have good things to say about lots of different lenses. So I'd like to hear about lenses that are disliked and why they are disliked. i know some people may dislike a lens because it is 'soft' but others will love it for the same reasons. Or maybee a lens is overrated and commands a higher price than it should. Cool thing about this thread is that people may learn about situations where unliked lenses shine.

Heres mine:
    15 inch f5.6 Wollensak Telephoto.
    The pictures dont do it justice. this lens is big. Too heavy for my Zone Vi. I thought I might mount it on a speed graphic someday but probably I will just sell it.

Ilex 65mm f8 wide-angle paragon.
    i love this lens and I hate it. it took me allmost 2 years to find an Ilex #1 shutter at a good price. Its very hard to work with. the edges go dim quickly and there is not much movement available. The most aggrivating thing is that there are no filter threads. I've had a little luck just holding a filter over it. This lens is a pain in the ass to use, but it is nice and sharp.

150mm f4.7 Xenar.
    It's just blah. The focal length is booring and the sharpness is mediocre. Not much movement to use either.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    i don't have any specifics ..
    but i dislike expensive sharp lenses with a lot of hype.
    seems to me they aren't worth all the money or hulabaloo.

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Zoom lenses are the work of the devil!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy
    Zoom lenses are the work of the devil!!
    I agree, although they really are kinda' convenient sometimes (he waffles)... but a zoom on a LF camera... I had no idea that anyone was doing that!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc
    This is in response to the 'good lenses from unclean brands' thread. It appears people have good things to say about lots of different lenses. So I'd like to hear about lenses that are disliked and why they are disliked. i know some people may dislike a lens because it is 'soft' but others will love it for the same reasons. Or maybee a lens is overrated and commands a higher price than it should. Cool thing about this thread is that people may learn about situations where unliked lenses shine.

Heres mine:
    15 inch f5.6 Wollensak Telephoto.
    The pictures dont do it justice. this lens is big. Too heavy for my Zone Vi. I thought I might mount it on a speed graphic someday but probably I will just sell it.

Ilex 65mm f8 wide-angle paragon.
    i love this lens and I hate it. it took me allmost 2 years to find an Ilex #1 shutter at a good price. Its very hard to work with. the edges go dim quickly and there is not much movement available. The most aggrivating thing is that there are no filter threads. I've had a little luck just holding a filter over it. This lens is a pain in the ass to use, but it is nice and sharp.

150mm f4.7 Xenar.
    It's just blah. The focal length is booring and the sharpness is mediocre. Not much movement to use either.
    You're absolutely correct- those lenses are close to useless and because I feel so sorry for you I'll take all three of them off your hands. All it will cost you is the postage to ship them to Los Angeles.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nikkor-SW 90mm f8 - this lens is too dark to be usuable.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw
    I agree, although they really are kinda' convenient sometimes (he waffles)... but a zoom on a LF camera... I had no idea that anyone was doing that!
    ooops... didn't notice this was in the LF section.. that's what I get for just looking in "new posts" all the time!

One of the appealing things about LF, of course, is the lack of zoom lenses, don't you think?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "Ilex 65mm f8 wide-angle paragon.
    .. the edges go dim quickly.."

just an edit:
    The edges go dim at f8, making it extremely difficult to compose and focus.
    When stopped down to at least f16 the falloff is only minor.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ooops... didn't notice this was in the LF section.. that's what I get for just looking in "new posts" all the time!

One of the appealing things about LF, of course, is the lack of zoom lenses, don't you think?
    No worries.

BTW, sorry I missed meeting up with you in Toronto. I saw you across the tent one day, but didn't get the opportunity to say "hello". It was a great conference, so may new friends to meet.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nice save!

I do the same thing (check "new posts") so I could have done the same thing...even though I don't have anything against my 80-200mm f2.8 zoom (except that it is big and won't focus close enough to be usable indoors).

Matt

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin