Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,397   Online: 909

Thread: Xenar "Type D"

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Xenar "Type D"

I have one of these strange Xenar Type D lenses. It is a 165mm f/3.5 triplet with nice OOF rendering. I have found a few threads on this site and others relative to these lenses. Ole seems to have a 150mm and there is a 180mm for sale on Camera Eccentric. Are there other people actually using theses lenses? Apart from the two lines featured in the Vademecum, does anybody have more information about these rather unique Xenars?

Abbazz

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Except for the two lines of incorrect information in the Vademecum ("for small cameras"??) and my own lens, I know nothing.

It's a fun lens - the "soft" rendering at full aperture, coupled with the minimal DoF, is quite special. It's far more interesting than the 135/3.5 Planar in terms of rendition!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had also a Type D Xenar for Mediumformat (3,8/10,5 cm). It wasn't marked as a Type D, but I'm sure it was one of these "strange Xenar Type D lenses". The pictures looks very interesting and "old". For examples see http://glasmaster.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I have one useful information: sell it to me...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My Typ D is also a reverse Tessar-derivative, and not a triplet.

I believe the "non-typ-D" fast Xenars are "normal Tessars", and can confirm that at least one Typ D is a reverse Tessar with negative power uncemented rear cell (two air-spaced lenses in the rear cell, a cemented pair in the front cell).

Until I see a Typ D triplet with my own eyes, I'm prepared to assume that the Vade Mecum is yet again in error when describing less common German lenses, and that all Typ D's are reverse Tessars. It wouldn't be the first such error.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ole, here my suggestion: An older usage in german is to say "triplet" even to the Heliar. Authoritative is the architecture, the lens design. So we can find triplets with three, four (one cemented group) or five (two cemented groups) lenses. What is the english equivalent for "Vierlinser" and "Fünflinser"?? Dr. Helmut Naumann states in "Das Auge meiner Kamera", site 92, all xenars as "Tripletts mit verkitteter Hinterlinse" - including the faster f/3.5-design (35 to 300 mm).
    My only problems are the curious 3.8-Aperture of my type D, the missing "Typ D"-signature, the missing proof in the literature and that I resold it too hasty.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin