Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,796   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Can you recommend an ortho film for use in-camera?

I am looking for an 8x10 orthochromatic film to use for in-camera work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have used Freestyle's Arista Ortho in a variety of soups and have never been completely pleased with the results. After having finished box of Arista, I am ready to look for a new film. I see that Maco, Efke, and Ilford make Ortho films, has anybody used them in camera?

Suggestions are, as always, appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Arista stuff is hard to work with. The easiest but most expensive is Bergger. It is the rolls Royce of ortho films. Once you use it, you won't look back.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    How about X-ray film? I have gotten some interesting results developing it in regular film developer. I can send you a few sheets if you would like to try it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails greenilbrg.JPG  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Ilford Ortho Plus is designed as an in camera film.
    I always have a few holders of it when I am in the field.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    it stinks that tri - x ortho isn't made anymore.
    that stuff was great.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It does suck that Tri-X ortho is gone. That is why I am leaning towards the Efke Ortho, because it is (according to John at J&C) pretty much identical to the Efke 25 Pan film.

The Bergger film (anybody know who makes it?), like the Ilford is very expensive. Is it worth it?

Doesn't X-Ray film have weird emulsions on both sides? That would make it pretty strange to use...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    JG If I have any left after my workshop, I will send you a couple of Bergger sheets. Bostick and Sullivan carry it. I agree Ilford is good stuff as well. I just absolutely love how easy Bergger handles and the toneal range you can get.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Motamedi
    I am looking for an 8x10 orthochromatic film to use for in-camera work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have used Freestyle's Arista Ortho in a variety of soups and have never been completely pleased with the results. After having finished box of Arista, I am ready to look for a new film. I see that Maco, Efke, and Ilford make Ortho films, has anybody used them in camera?

Suggestions are, as always, appreciated.
    I would check the spectral response curves of a couple of films before you make a choice. I have experimented with Ilford Ortho, its spectral reponse seems to stop in the middle of the green band. Partly because of this, it is very easy to handle in the darkroom, I have the correct dark red Ilford safelight screen but also find that a Paterson bright red safelight seems to be OK (at a distance of 1 meter or more).

Ilford Ortho is rated at ISO 80 in daylight, I have usually found EI 20 or so give me the negatives I like, the Ilford data sheet give development times only for high bar G indexes (0.62 and more), I found pictorial negatives need much less development. Because of the spectral response, only yellow or yellow/green filters are really feasible for camera exposures, filters that have a factor of 2x with pan film will probably need 4 to 5x with Ortho. Ultimately it's a matter of whether the film gives you a "look" that you like.

Regards,

David

PS: The PDF file on Ortho seems to have disappeared from the Ilford website. If you would like a copy, please PM me.
    Last edited by David H. Bebbington; 05-19-2006 at 01:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    How about X-ray film? I have gotten some interesting results developing it in regular film developer. I can send you a few sheets if you would like to try it.
    How do you rate it, and how do you develop it ? Can you find it in sizes that fit the film holders, or do you cut it ? It can be handled in red light, I guess, but can it also be handled in subdued white light (a low wattage bulb) ?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the suggestions.

David, I have the Ilford PDF somewhere on my computer, thanks for the offer and suggestions.

Aggie, thanks for the kind offer. I currently out of "regular" mailing distance (Mexico), so I need to make a decision sight unseen (and untested). Not the best route...

best regards,

jason

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin