Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,100   Posts: 1,636,385   Online: 1086

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of my rigs is an old Studex (1320, if I recall) with a Bogen 3047 head. After trying many, many combos, this was one that seemed to be tuned right for the P67 and still be somewhat manageable for hiking. It's about 8# and also handles 4X5 field cameras quite easily. Don't underestimate what is needed for the Pentax. When you start making large prints, a proper support will show an obvious difference. I used a laser pointer and borrowed rigs, tried demos in shops, etc and was surprised at some of the results. I concluded that certain pods picked up the P67 vibes, even if they seemed heavy and substantial. I didn't try wooden units but that might just be a good solution, too.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never really uinderstood the whole wooden thing. Same for the carbon tripods. Such light tripods can't do the trick can they?

Sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    and on topic:

The cremaillure seems to get good responses. Is the studex a newer version? or something compleetly different?
    About the reporters, I saw a reporter no. 4, and that one seemed quite heavy and big. It had the column with a handle too. I guess the number go from 1, which is the lightest, to 4, which is the heaviest?
    So in this case, would there be a substantial difference between lets say:

the cremaillure 3, or the reporter 4?

Hope to hear something about this.
    Best regards Sam

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I wouldn't say the Cremaillere 3 was a lightweight tripod at all. It goes to near enough 6 feet without extending the (geared) column. It isn't too light either, gut lighter than some of the bigger Manfrotto tripods. The legs angle right out, it goes low, it folds up compactly. My only real complaints with it are the paint chips easily to reveal the aluminium underneath - but who cares!, and if I ever scrape or bash an open leg against say, a rock, it may leave small dints in the metal than need smoothing with a bit of fine metal grit paper, or the leg sections become too stiff to slide back together. Also spare parts are still easy to get via the Gitzo web site.
    I too dont really get the wood tripod thing - they dont have the flexibility of metal types, but I suppose they are traditional and they are liked by many - so fair enough.
    If you come across a good condition Cremaillere 3 I think you will find it hard to resist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks a lot for the postage on the cremailure3. Actually I have come along one. But I also came along a reporter 4 with geared column.
    How do these two compare?

Sam

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Haven't a clue. The only one I know about is the cremaillere 3, but I bet a reporter 4 would be just as good. My concern would be the weight issue, and I know some of the older Gitzo's especially with R4 heads are beasts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cremalliere only refers to the crank center column. Not the leg set.
    Rapid is the lift column
    Reporters are amongst the smaller sets Gitzo produces.
    The reporter series is a rough equivalent to the tiltall tripods.
    Differences in models being number of leg sections, height and the ability to spread the legs for low level work(performance)
    The series go in size:
    Totalux...............table top & travel, very compact
    Reporter.............35mm, light MF some compact enough to go in a suitcase
    Inter pro Studex...Gettin serious here, heavy 35mm & MF light LF
    Studex................Anything you want
    Super Studex.......Even more so
    The differences being leg diameter, height & weight capacity.
    Also anything with the word Studex have interchangable center plates in addition to the column so a camera could be mounted at the apex of the tripod rather than on a column.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Don't be misled.

IMO, the 'series names' such as 'reporter', 'tele studex', 'studex giant' etc... are a secondary naming system in an attempt to be more 'user friendly'. I think it's generally better to just follow the numbering system which is pretty rational.

first digit = leg diameter (1-5)
    second digit = ? - maybe revision/version number? Most are zero.
    third digit = number of leg sections (hence height) (1-6)

So - a 504 (tele studex) is a LARGE diameter leg (1.5 inches or so?) with four sections.

Other terms, as mentioned, like cremaillère refer to a center crankable shaft option.

It ain't that hard. Forgive me if I've made any omissions. But this generally works for me - and only applies to the older models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two critical factors:

How tall are you ? I'm 5'7", I don't need as hefty a tripod as a 6'0" photographer.

How small does it need to pack ? Fit in a carry on bag ? Shorter sections, and more of 'em.

Lens length ? Kind of cameras ?

These thing setm the rest is easy.

don
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    How tall are you ? I'm 5'7", I don't need as hefty a tripod as a 6'0" photographer.
    That, I dont understand. What does photographers height has to do with you tripod,... nothing IMO.
    To the two previous posters: THANKS a LOT for explaining ow it kind of works...
    I guess I will need a studex ... I use pentax 67 right now and will add a linhof technika or monorail in the future. Tripod does not have to fit a bag.

But does every older gitzo has such a number code somewhere?

Game

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin