Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,489   Posts: 1,542,926   Online: 889

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by game
    That, I dont understand. What does photographers height has to do with you tripod,... nothing IMO.
    ....edit...

Game
    It's fundamental how tall you are.

Gitzo makes many different tripods. If a 6' tall photographer used MY #4 (which holds my 8x10 Deardorff at my eyelevel with serene stability) he would be unhappy. MY version of the #4 does NOT go to 6'. I DON'T need to carry the extra weight. If you were 6'4, you might need a #5, instead of a #4 were one a shrimp like me. OR a talller #4.

Will you work at eye-level ? Will you work with your LF camera at ground-level ? Do you NEED a crank ? Probably not.

Will you work in wet areas ? Will you work on uneven terrain ? Gitzo makes different features for those conditions, which adds weight or expense.

In general, a #4 is more than sufficient for LF and smaller unless you're really tall or working from a ladder.

You could also get a FOBA, which allows you to add extensions to the legs if you need to go REALLY high. Or a medium format Linhof, which is incredibly light and stable for up to a 4x5. BUT not if you're 6 feet tall.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm 5'10" and would find it INCREDIBLY useful to have a tripod that will (with stability) go up to 17'!! But I shoot a foot off the ground alot, too. It's got to do with the picture I'm trying to make. Nothing else, IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don;t know my height in the american system, but I am not really big. I almost never photograph above my eyeheight, and mostly under my eyeheight. I have experienced that I never extend my bogen 055b to its full lenght.
    One thing I do use often, and I know It's not the stabelest way, is that I use the column to go up a little. I find it to much hassle that if one just needs a few inches up or down t go and adjust all three legs, to find your self, when looking trough your finder, that one needs one inch less. So a geared column seems rather helpfull to me.

Anyway, I noticed that when asking, a lot of people that sell theur older gitzo dont seem to know what gitzo they are using. Responses like "all I can find is a #4" are not uncommon. How can I solve that?

Game

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.gitzo.com/

There is all the information right there. You will have to search through the headings under tripod, but each model, and variation, is described.

Good luck.

don
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I looked there before opening this thread off course, but I could only find info about the current line. (or am I looking wrong?)
    I want info about the older stuff because those are the ones I can afford.

Are the tripods maybe catagorizable by weight? I can ask the sellers about the tripods weight anytime.
    Maybe a studex is in a certain weight area, and a reporter in a different.
    If a tripod weight lets say 6kg, what would it likeally be?
    "And if a seller says it is a no.4 , that all I know", what can I derive from that?

thanks sam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a screen shot from an old pdf file that I had... If it comes through and is readable, it should explain the numbering system of the leg sizes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gitzosize.jpg  
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a helpfull image,
    but it seems that that Number that has come up several times in this thread is absent on the older gitzos...
    or are the sellers looking in the wrong place?
    Where is such a number located on the tripod?
    How can I know what does two are ????
    for instance on these two:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The cr3 appears to be a reporter, the #2 refers only to the head.Same situation on the other 3pod, except they're Studex legs with a #4 head.
    The really nice thing about the Gitzo cremalliere center columns is the gearing is so low There's not a problem if you let go of the crank. The camera will just sit there rather than dropping to the end of travel.
    The most accurate way to determine capacity is by the leg diameter mentioned in the above post.
    Head capacity can be gleaned from th Gitzo web page.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That was my guess too.
    number 1 a reporter and 2 a studex.
    If I understand it correctly I could ask every seller to give me the diameter of the thickest leg, and then I can derive wether it is a reporter or a studex or whatever, by checking the diagram posted three posts earlier?

So the left tripod on the image above should have a 1.125 inch leg, and the right a 1.250 inch leg.
    Is the right a cremaillere too? it has a geared column...

Is my conclusion right if I would say the left tripod is too small for my current pentax 67 en future 4x5 plans, and that the right tripod will do the trick?

Hope to get an answer to my question, I feel like this thread will get me there. Great!

Sam

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've just measured the top leg diameter on a Crem 3 and its 1.250 inch. That will serve you well. Incidentally neither of the 2 tripods in your pics have the very useful multi-angle leg spacing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin