Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,658   Online: 1104

Thread: Metered Light

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Metered Light

I was going to buy a Metered Light Spot Meter but a year later there is no production and the meter is now unavailable. It once looked good but communication with the company is restricted because the site is not running and email isn't deliverable so what was to be my main meter is not.

Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look into one of the Sekonic Zoom Master meters. Mine's an L-508, one of the older models. Incident meter, flash and variable degree spot meter all rolled into one. Very rugged and reliable, and Sekonic is definately still in business. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Curt,

There's more varieties of meters out in the marketplace than you can shake a stick at. So, if the "Metered Light Spot Meter" you were going to buy is no longer being made or available... pick one of the others! There are some excellent spotmeters out there.

Personally, I'd also recommend a Sekonic considering that Minolta has gone out of the metering business (unfortunately!)

If you can get ahold of one of the older Pentax V meters... it's a classic and will hold you in good stead for many, many years to come.

The L-508 is a great meter and so are their newer versions.

Cheers

Curt,

If you plan to use the zone system (one of the strengths of the Pocket Spot) I'd suggest looking for a used Sekonic L-778.

Great meter and very zone system friendly.

Joe D.

Images
    Communication with Metered Light can be tough. As I understand it, it is a 'mom and pop shop' and the owner/creators have day jobs. I did talk with Karl at Metered Light this last week and there was some problem with the website host and the website got flushed. Since the original website designer has since died, Karl is in the process of rebuilding it and he is not a software guru.

I believe the meters are available on a limited basis. I sure like mine.

415-452-9923
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Whatever you do...don't give up on trying to get one of the PocketSpot light meters. I have used many other spot meters, and its by far the best. Actually, its my most favorite piece of camera equiptment I own!

Metered Light is a very small company that produces a very limited number of produces, and they are also very difficult to get in touch with. I suggest to just keep calling them until you get someone, and leave a few messages as well.

Their website is down for awhile, but they are still producing their meters and darkroom timers.

DON'T GIVE UP! The Pocket Spot is an amazing invention and I promise it will be the last meter you will ever need to buy. I cannot even live without mine!

Regards,

Ryan McIntosh

Metered Light Company # 415-452-9923

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All right i'll wait and see.

Curt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin