Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,785   Online: 908

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus Albertz
    I strongly recommend you take a peek at the Wehman 8x10 field camera. I have one and am very happy with it. It is light, sturdy, and very compact. A unique feature of this camera is that the bed extension is also used to cover the ground glass when folded. Weight < 9 lb, bellows ~ 30", and they run for $US 1850.

The 2006 version seems to be even more rigid than the previous models:

http://www.wehmancamera.com/camera.html

Please feel free to pm me if you have specific questions.

Best,

Markus
    I would be very interested in this camera if he made a 5x7 back for it. I've e-mailed him and he suggests getting a 5x7 back that he will adapt to the camera. I don't unserstand this mentality. Nice camera otherwise.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    I am trying to avoid working with an f9 standard lens.
    Regards,

David
    How come?
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    I would be very interested in this camera if he made a 5x7 back for it. I've e-mailed him and he suggests getting a 5x7 back that he will adapt to the camera. I don't unserstand this mentality. Nice camera otherwise.
    My Wehman has a 5x7 back and a 4x5 back. I bought a 5x7 spring back and a 4x5 graflok back on eBay and bruce made adapters for them and mounted them on my camera. His reasoning is that it is much less expensive to do it that way
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    My Wehman has a 5x7 back and a 4x5 back. I bought a 5x7 spring back and a 4x5 graflok back on eBay and bruce made adapters for them and mounted them on my camera. His reasoning is that it is much less expensive to do it that way
    How bulky are they? How much did it cost you for the mod?
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    How bulky are they? How much did it cost you for the mod?
    Don, as I recall, I paid Bruce $50 apiece for the adapters. They are bulky enough that I don't want to carry all three backs in my camera backpack at the same time. I'm ok with carrying the 8x10 on the camera and the 5x7 back OR the 4x5 back in my camera backpack (but not both of them). I find that I use the 4x5 back mostly for test shots with rollfilm backs.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...I did buy an Ansco (gray paint) camera for this purpose with the all-singing all-dancing rise/fall swing/tilt front, but this is a bit long in the tooth and I can't see this being rigid enough, particularly as I would like to use some lenses that I have been collecting such as a 12" f4.5 Serrac in a #5 Compound which almost fills up a Sinar panel....
    I'm interested that you feel the Ansco would not be rigid enough, esp at most extensions you're likely to encounter with a 12" lens. It would have been one of my first suggestions for an inexpensive yet robust camera. They did come in some different variations. Some had tilting fronts; others did not. Some take 6" lens boards; others take 7 1/2" lens boards. I have one of the latter and like it as it's one of the few field cameras with a front standard large enough to accommodate old portrait lenses.

Cheers,
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My particular example may be a little tired, and I felt the design of the front was rather crude - for example, just one locking knob for the front shift AND swing, the same two for rise/fall and on-axis tilt. I'd rather struggle with the extra weight of the Sinar Norma and really have confidence that everything is going to stay locked up. I have another model of Ansco in a dark wood varnish finish in 5x7" size which is much more rigid (mentioned earlier in the thread) - I'd be more than satisified with this in 8x10", but example are rare and I think not be had for less than $700.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I too recommend the wehman. VERY stable, yet lightweight and very portable...plenty of movement for the field. lengthy bellows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My particular example may be a little tired, and I felt the design of the front was rather crude - for example, just one locking knob for the front shift AND swing, the same two for rise/fall and on-axis tilt. I'd rather struggle with the extra weight of the Sinar Norma and really have confidence that everything is going to stay locked up. I have another model of Ansco in a dark wood varnish finish in 5x7" size which is much more rigid (mentioned earlier in the thread) - I'd be more than satisified with this in 8x10", but example are rare and I think not be had for less than $700.
    I looked at the Wehman and noted the bellows sag, and thats images on their own site.

Going back to Agfa-Ansco's there does appear to be a very marked drop in quality of their field cameras once the company (Agfa America) was sequestrated by the US Government in 1941, after Pearl Harbour. In fact the later LF products are quite inferior, metal work - brass etc and woodwork is totally different

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you can find one without a bunch of extras, look for a Zone VI Ultralight (like the one I got onEbay recently). It takes a Sinar-sized lensboard, so if you have a Sinar already, you can use your lenses without changing. It provides front and rear movements, and without changing bellows can provide from 3" to 38" of extension, so you can use lenses with it from approximately 75mm to 800mm. The camera weighs approximately 10 lbs, which is quite good for an 8x10, and is very well-crafted Honduran mahogany. The big downsides are two- they aren't common, and they're pricey.

I have one of the Agfa/Ansco 4x5/5x7 models and while it lacks some movements, they're built like a brick. They're also quite reasonable in price. Look for one of the 8x10s with the larger lensboard, like Will Whitaker suggested. Look for them on American Ebay - they show up periodically, and like many cameras, they seem to come and go in waves. You won't see them online for a while, then all of a sudden, a half-dozen will show up within a two week span.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin