Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,589   Online: 849

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

8x10 field camera recommendations?

I plan to start a field project with an 8x10" camera later this year. I did buy an Ansco (gray paint) camera for this purpose with the all-singing all-dancing rise/fall swing/tilt front, but this is a bit long in the tooth and I can't see this being rigid enough, particularly as I would like to use some lenses that I have been collecting such as a 12" f4.5 Serrac in a #5 Compound which almost fills up a Sinar panel.

I am therefore wondering if there is a worthwhile not too expensive relatively lightweight 8x10" field camera which is worth considering - anyone have recommendations from first-hand experience? My alternative is to start going to the gym and then use my 8x10" Sinar Norma. I do not plan to walk all that far with this equipment, I have a large LowePro bag which would take the Sinar, I might even buy a small wheeled trolley. I have a Manfrotto 058 tripod which manages the 8x10" Sinar well in the studio, also have a De Vere all-metal tripod, don't really want to have to buy another tripod. From what I have seen, my ideal would be something like the 8x10" box camera with tilt front shown on the Gandolfi website, I could imagine this was a custom build and shatteringly expensive!

All suggestions welcome!

Best regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was going to suggest an Agfa-Ansco 10"x8" camera, mine is very rigig reasonable weight, excellent movements. Extremely verstile for long lenses as it extends to 36.5"

http://lostlabours.co.uk/agfa-ansco/

From what I can make out some of the grey models differed from the Agfa-Ansco's. Certainly the metal fittings differ.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for this suggestion - I have this camera in 5x7" and it is great. Haven't seen an 8x10" on e-bay, though.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'd need to try ebay.com rather than our UK .co.uk version, or search world-wide. These Agfa/Ansco's are very rare in the UK.

It is worth importing second-hand from the US, despite high import duty & VAT this end adding 21.5% to cost of item and shipping.

Ian

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    David - what about the second-hand 8x10" Variant that Gandolfi has for sale on their website? You could even take your lens along and go have a look at it!

Buying a second hand camera from Gandolfi is safe. They (he) know exactly what they are (he is) selling!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is not really much out there that is stiff, lightish and reasonable.

A few are

Kodak masterview
    Wehman

These would be my top picks follwed by

Phillips (if you can find one)
    Toho

tacharia (sp)
    Shen hao
    Canham (Someone did mention that canhams 8x10 was a bit flimsey)

I am building a lightweight 8x10 myself, but its going to be very unconventional

You cold go for a rail camera like a Cambo sc. i had ne and they are heavy.
    I did not feel like it was stiff enough. They are cheap though and heavy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm looking at something like the Wista 8x10 for possible purchase next year. Anyone have any experience with this camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi David

I love Ole's suggestion. The alternative is to build a modifcation to your Ansco.

Of course, I don't know what you'll NEED for the pictures. I have a camera used by an automobile photographer here in Detroit backin the '50s~'60s; the front and rear standards of the Deardorff had been boxed in, leaving front rise to be the only movement, besides focus. It is excellent for big old lenses.

Some thin marine plywood and bar stock would tone up the Ansco. You could also replace the balance board with a plywood bed that wouldn't add much to the weight, but by reducing the design's potential for movement, limit your camera to the job at hand.

And, it wouldn't be difficult to make a serviceable box camera that accepted Sinar boards, and the Ansco back.

Sounds like good fun. Oh, and the implied answer is there is NO lightweight, inexpensive, and study field camera. Well, yes there is, the Gandolfi or used Deardorff, or C1 Calumet.

df
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw
    I'm looking at something like the Wista 8x10 for possible purchase next year. Anyone have any experience with this camera?
    Well, yes.

Why think about a crummy Wista when you can get a Gandofi ?

Buy British !
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has no-one noticed when the Gandolfi Secondhand page was last up dated - 28th August 2005 - nearly nine months ago.th Aug 2005

Ian

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin