Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,441   Online: 933

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    David,

I bought a used, but fully restored, Deardorff 5x7 with a 4x5 reducing back a short while ago. It's a great camera and I don't think you'd be unhappy with it.

You can buy new cameras from Deardorff directly. Here's their address:

Deardorff Photographic Products International,

58 West Lincolnway, Valpariso, INdiana, 46383

Telephone: ( 219 ) 464 9748

They don't have a website and can only be reached by telephone or mail.

FWIW... Jim at Midwest Photo is a GREAT guy to deal with!

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have a new wood Canham 5x7 in stock and can also get the ebony's.
    -Rob
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Wisner, Canham, Ebony, Lotus ....
    Or Gandolfi...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of the options listed here are kind'a pricey. You can get a 5X7 Tachahara from badgergraphic.com for about $1,300. new. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi David, I know this is not a 'recent' model, but I use a Burke & James 'Gray' 5x7 that has really been a great camera. Have the 4x5 and 5x7 backs for it, plus a few lens boards. It does have the original red bellows, but they are in great shape...some you find are shot, some have been replaced. My first 5x7, which I still have, was a Eastman No. 1, which was pretty loose, but then it is over 100 years old. Just another option I thought I would toss out. If I could buy new, it would either be a Shen-Hao, Tachahara or if I really had the $ the Canaham. Good luck, you will fall in love with the 5x7 format.
    Mike C

Rambles

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

A nice Kettle of Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch
    I have a new wood Canham 5x7 in stock and can also get the ebony's.
    -Rob
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    Good luck in your search Dave and there are some great options listed above....what I wish I would have done (and since have done) when I first got into the larger formats was really research, do more hands on testing and purchase quality, I wasted a lot of time and money just trying to get into the game as cheaply as possible....all of the above cameras, new and even 100 years old will "take a picture suitable for framing"...current cameras have less problems with obtaining film holders and service and offer the options you will find you just might want once you really get into it, (and you will...it is a very positive addiction...) i.e. bellows draw, minimum and maximum, swings, tilts, rise and fall, et al. There are some very sweet lenses for 5 x 7 in the 90 mm to 110 mm range, and also up to the 600 mm range, a lot of 4 x 5 lenses cover the format as well as the 8 x 10....5 x 7 is really a sweet spot to be in....

As for specific recommendations,

1. the DDorfs have always been highly recommended, I was not aware that presently you could get them new, I would assume the standards are just as high or higher,

2. The Shen Hoa I have seen and is quite nice as is the Tachihara for the price.

personally I am not afraid of a little more weight and greater stability and movements, I do like to crank it out to the max...

That being said, this month at the APUG convention I was able thanks to Rob, to get my hand on and put some of the cameras he brought through the paces....The wooden Canham I really liked....but what really blew me away were the Ebony cameras, everything about them, the fit and finish and the function, rock solid at extension.....

What do I work with?

I have 2 Wisner cameras that I really love working with, they are strong and solid at extension and the have great movement capabilities, also great maximum extension and strength, I also have a Wista 8 x 10 which has served me well but does not have the max bellows extension and is not as solid as I would like it to be....so "Lord willing and if the Creek don't rise and If I can get a good price for the motorcycle and sell the boat, an Ebony is in my future....

I would with out hesitation recommend as a good long term investment-as a 5 x 7 working tool, The Wisner, the DDorf's (I'd really like to see a new one), the Wooden Canham, and the Ebony.
    For my larger cameras I use S& S holders.

Good luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    From the sublime to the ridiculous - I just sold an Ansco 5x7" on e-bay, with 5x7" and 4x5" spring backs. It was probably the least desirable model they ever made, with a one-piece (non-folding) bed, solid front end (no movements), just tilt and swing on the back, in wood finished in battleship gray, but it was in excellent condition, all working, and it sold for - £31!!!!!!!!!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can add Gandolfi to your list [URL=http://www.gandolficameras.com/URL]

Richard

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham
    You can add Gandolfi to your list [URL=http://www.gandolficameras.com/URL]
    I've mentioned Gandolfi already. Here's mine: http://www.bruraholo.no/Cameras/Gandolfi/Gandolfi.html
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin