Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,510   Online: 969

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Jim,

I have lots of 13x18 holders (probably 20 Linhof and several Fidelity) but the shipping from France might not be a good idea. How many do you need?

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doesn't look like there is much interest in 7x5 does it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    Doesn't look like there is much interest in 7x5 does it?
    Not much - I've just given up 35mm and medium format for a 7x5 Gandolfi Variant!

I'd hate to start an argument but I reckon that it is starting to get difficult to argue in favour of 35mm when digital cameras as good as the D200 are available. I've even heard (from the blue-sky department of a well known film manufacturer) that in the near future, most snapshots will be captured by combining several adjacent frames from video cameras. Combining image data from adjacent frames lets you increase the image resolution, whilst video gives you the chance to pick the perfect frame. I'm not sure that I agree with this but, hey!

I think that when most non-professionals (enthusiasts, artists, etc) leaving the smaller formats compare 5x4, 7x5 and 10x8, they see 5x4 as being easy to get into (with all the support and kit for pros) and they see 10x8 as being great for contacts, but maybe just a bit too big (I was shocked by the size of 10x8 Deardorff, coming from 35mm).

7x5 sits perfectly in the middle once you have realised that you can take advantage of the 5x4 world for colour (with a reducing back) but you still get the opportunity to make fairly big contacts in B&W.

Having said all that I hope I don't find that I've made a big mistake and should have bought a banquet camera instead!

Cheers,

Paul.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Paul,

I couldn't agree with you more... in many ways, I wish I would have jumped right into 5x7 rather than 4x5. But, learning on 4x5 is a lot less expensive than learning on a 5x7.

The aspect ratio of a 5x7 is so nice to use as compared to 4x5... I do find myself cropping my 4x5 image more often than I care to. But, that's just the nature of the beast.

As for the size and weight of an 8x10 Dorff... I don't know just HOW large they are but I will soon! I've just bought one!

Cheers

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny
    Paul,

I couldn't agree with you more... in many ways, I wish I would have jumped right into 5x7 rather than 4x5. But, learning on 4x5 is a lot less expensive than learning on a 5x7.

The aspect ratio of a 5x7 is so nice to use as compared to 4x5... I do find myself cropping my 4x5 image more often than I care to. But, that's just the nature of the beast.

As for the size and weight of an 8x10 Dorff... I don't know just HOW large they are but I will soon! I've just bought one!

Cheers
    I recently(last fall) upgraded from a 5x7 dorf to an 8x10, (which also has a 5x7 reducing back - so I have the best of both worlds)I it's my opinion that the 8x10 dorf is a quite manageable package. I think it weighs about 15lbs and I was able to fit it in the same backpack that I had the 5x7 in. I have a very compact set of lenses- a 159mm wolly which just covers 8x10, a 240 fuji compact, a 450 fuji compact, and the only big beast I have is a 14" artar, so I have in approximate size 6,10,14 and 18" covered and the whole outfit with 6 holders and my pentax meter weighs about 30lbs - not bad for a full 8x10/5x7 outfit.
    Climbabout
    Tim Jones

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just made 2 lensboards for the 5x7 yesterday so I could go photograph this weekend... ahhh, a weekend of photographic bliss
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul you made the correct decision, and a Variant to boot, wow that's going to be a nice setup. I think 5x7 or 7x5 is a fantastic format. It seems perfect and I have everything from 35mm to 11x14. I prefer the 5x7 for control and weight. I carry it on airlines and pack it down to the beach. The lenses are easier on the budget too.

Regards,
    Curt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Emile de Leon
    I use a Anba Ikeda 5x7. At 3.8 lbs it really is a no-brainer for the most portable camera with the biggest neg. Emile/www.deleon-ulf.com
    I have a similar camera, a Nagaoka 5X7 field camera. As far as I am concerned it is about the most perfect all-around 5X7 field camera ever made for general landscape photography when low weight and compact design are the major criteria. The Nagaoka is about 7.5"X7.5"X2.75", very light in weight at less than 3 lbs, and lyet still has a fair amount of movements (rear swing and tilt, front swing and tilt, and front rise and fall), and it will handle lenses of normal type up to 300mm focal length and telefoto lenses up to at least 600mm. And gold-plated metal and beautiful.

I would not trade my Nagaoka 5X7 even up for any other 5X7 I have ever seen or read about. Not for an Ebony, not for a Canham, not for a Deardorff, not for a Shen-Hao, not for a Gandolfini. Some of these cameras are clearly superior in some aspects, but for my purposes the combination of compact design, very light weight, and movements makes the Nagaoka unbeatable.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 05-27-2006 at 01:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Tom,

Sounds like quite a nice package... I can hardly wait to get my Dorff 8x10.

Initially, I thought about getting a 5x7 reducing back for it. But then, I decided if I'm going to lug around the 8x10... I'll shoot 8x10!

When I want to shoot 5x7/4x5... I'll use my Dorff 5x7/4x5 Special. A 4x5 reducing back came with the 5x7.

As for lenses, I have a Nikkor 240 f5.6 (Copal 3) and a 360 Symmar f6.8 (Copal 3) for the 8x10 at the moment. I'll be looking for smaller and lighter in the next short while.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Cheers

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin