Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,479   Online: 961

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Renissance in 5x7 format?

Is it just me or does there seem to be a dramatic increase in interest and participation in the 5x7 format?

I don't know. It is a nice size for contact printing and the proportioins are very attractive, plus if you have one of the older 4x5s like Agfa,Ansco, Deardorff or B&J you can usually play the game for the cost of a 5x7 back and a few holders!

Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dunno... I picked up a Kodak 2D for a decent price because my ancient Beseler can enlarge 5x7's. And I wanted to try my hand at contact printing.
    It would be nice if there was a renaissance of the format.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Maybe if we declared it....that it had indeed begun...

it is a wonderful format....with a lot of perks, enlargers are cheap, the neg is large enough to make a nice contact, lots of great lens choices...

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian
    I don't know. It is a nice size for contact printing and the proportioins are very attractive, plus if you have one of the older 4x5s like Agfa,Ansco, Deardorff or B&J you can usually play the game for the cost of a 5x7 back and a few holders!

Cheers!
    Interest in 5x7 has been on the up swing for several years now.
    Don Bryant

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have had and use a 5x7 for over 15 years now. no renaissance for me.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I just hope that 5x7 use does not decline from its present state. It has been my primary film size for about 20 years.

It is hard to beat for image ratio, equipment size, available lenses, contact or enlarged prints - It is just the best for me although I have many cameras of other sizes.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think part of it is all those 4x5 lenses that cover 5x7 and a bit more. Part is 4x5 is so square some of us end up cropping. It's sort of like shooting 6x6 in MF. If you're always cropping then why not shoot 6x9 or 6x4.5? Part of it is alot of the older 5x7s are so cheap.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The 5x7" Press Graflex and Graflex Home Portrait cameras are the largest practical SLR's around that aren't extreme rarities, so that's another attraction.

The Canham 5x7"-->6x17cm back probably has done something to boost the popularity of the format as well.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I have always been surprised that 5x7 hasn't been as popular as 8x10 or 4x5.
    If I had it to do over I would probably give 4x5 a skip and go right to 5x7. The cameras aren't really much bigger and the costs are close enough to make it pretty close to a wash. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it gain ground, apart from the general LF renaissance.

Film choices are still a bit of an issue though.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin