Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,421   Online: 1174

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Bugs in Southern Ontario

I thought I would up-date the local shooters about how the bugs are, since they can get real bad for a couple weeks in the spring.
    On Monday morning I went to Hilton Falls in north Halton (Milton). Not a bug to be seen... I'm not sure if it's too early or too cold.
    Plus the waterfall that flows into the lake is still running nicely. It will dry up over the next few weeks but was very nice today.
    Have a great shoot.
    -Rob Skeoch

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Too cold I think. I was in the country this past Saturday, north shore, Lake Eire, nada a bug to be seen inhe country. Those power generating windmills make for an interesting shot if anyone is driving teh Nova Scotia line along the lake.

joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Rob, Joe,

No bugs out here in British Columbia either... we told them NOT to come out this way!

And, the ones that did come... we sent them packing!

[Sorry... couldn't resist! ]

Cheers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    In northern Saskatchewan we would kill them rather than send them packing but for every bug killed 100 came for the funeral.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    In northern Saskatchewan we would kill them rather than send them packing but for every bug killed 100 came for the funeral.
    Is that why you are in Melbourne? I suggest you don't take any trips to the Northern Territory.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The bugs in central and northern (and parts of southern) Ontario are directly linked to the temp.
    Last week (when it was actually warm) the black flies were out in full force. This long weekend (yes it did actually snow) there was not a bug to be seen. Daytime temp: 5C or 41F. Sunday was even colder, snowed 4 times in Bancroft
    Today (Tuesday) the temp is to go up to 17C (62F) and I will guarentee that the Black Flies will be out again, but this time they will be HUNGRY!
    Black Flies generally run from the first warm weather to the beginning/mid June. Usually 4-6 weeks. Mosquitos run from the start of May right through till it starts to get cold again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch
    Plus the waterfall that flows into the lake is still running nicely. It will dry up over the next few weeks but was very nice today.
    -Rob Skeoch
    Good to hear. I was concerned when we got so little snow over the winter. Water levels in the Bancroft area are at a nice level too.
    Never seen Hilton falls. Have you been up to see Eugena falls?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Rob,Darn. That kind of bugs. I thought you had lined up a Bugatti and were going to let us try all your beautiful new cameras and tripods in a classic car photo workshop.

Looking at the map I have noticed the shortest distance between here (south of Cleveland) and the View Camera Conference takes me within twenty miles of the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana. Anyone for a side trip before or after the conference? They have had several visiting bugs and the resident and transient ACDs are not bad on the eyes or lens either. I think an H shaped, 16 cyl, WW I, Bugatti designed, Duesenberg built, aero engine is in the permanent collection.

Just scratching the itch.
    John Powers

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You're very funning John.
    Hey is there still good ice climbing this time of the year in Bancroft. I spent two days climbing across from the Tim's this Feb. It must have been -30 the first day but by the second day it was a sunny -25 so I headed up to Algonquin to go winter camping.
    -Rob

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    Looking at the map I have noticed the shortest distance between here (south of Cleveland) and the View Camera Conference takes me within twenty miles of the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana. Anyone for a side trip before or after the conference? They have had several visiting bugs and the resident and transient ACDs are not bad on the eyes or lens either. I think an H shaped, 16 cyl, WW I, Bugatti designed, Duesenberg built, aero engine is in the permanent collection.
    -snip-

John;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin