Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,266   Online: 1039

Shooter
    Multi Format

"Warming polariser"

Much is written regarding the advantages of the (horrifically expensive) "warming polariser" filters. Is there a profound optical advantage to their use, versus a polariser and KR1.5 in tandem
    Regards to all
    Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might do a search using the key word "Moose" as there was a very large and lengthy conversation about this very thing not to long ago.

R.

Images
    And Moose filters are not horrifically expensive.

Yes they are a good thing. Stacking filters will cause vignetting (sp) on my wide lenses, the moose does not. I have not use my non warming polarizor since I got my Moose warming filter.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that

Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rossb
    Much is written regarding the advantages of the (horrifically expensive) "warming polariser" filters. Is there a profound optical advantage to their use, versus a polariser and KR1.5 in tandem
    Regards to all
    Ross
    As Roxi331 indicated, check the discussion and search for "moose". Specifically to your question, yes you can use the filters in tandem and I have done so in the past. You can check my image in my gallery here at APUG:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...0&ppuser=11550

However, when using 2 filters you will now be using 4 "glass" to air surfaces versus 2. Subsequent to taking the above photo which in reality is remarkably sharp, I have used warm polarizing filters almost exclusively for my color transparencies. Using the single filter is also much more convenient. In addition, I have on order (backordered and waiting for the glass) the new Singh-Ray lighter brighter warm polarizer to fit the Cokin P filter holder (fits the round slot and can be used with a variety of lens threads up to 82mm with the appropriate adapter ring). Yes it is extremely expensive. However this filter will only lose about 1 - 1 1/2 stop of light as opposed to the more normal 2- 2 1/2 stop light loss of a regular polarizing filter by itself. This increase in speed for light transmission of about a stop or so is particularly useful for work with slower large format lenses.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Agreed with everyone above.

Keep in mind, your results will also depends upon which "Warming Polarizing" filter you choose. Most are Polarizing/81A combinations, the Tiffen is a Polarizing/812 combination, which I believe also incorporates a CC10R. The Tiffen version is my preference.
    Last edited by roteague; 05-22-2006 at 08:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Agreed with everyone above.

Keep in mind, your results will also depends upon which "Warming Polarizing" filter you choose. Most are Polarizing/81A combinations, the Tiffen is a Polarizing/812 combination, which I believe I believe also incorporates a CC10R. The Tiffen version is my preference.
    I agree with Robert. This had been my warm polarizing filter of choice for some time. See example using this polarizing filter at APUG in my gallery:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...0&ppuser=11550

I later replaced it with the original Singh-Ray A-13 Warm Polarizing filter. However, as I mentioned above, for most applications I will be using the new Singh Ray lighter brighter warm polarizer for the Cokin P holder. If I will find the need for more color I would then use the Tiffen warm polarizing filter with the 812 filter. It does add a nice amount of warmth for the appropriate subject and conditions.

Rich
    Last edited by naturephoto1; 05-22-2006 at 08:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin