Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,131   Online: 845

Shooter
    Digital Negs

Problem with a Polaroid back

Hi!

I use an old Polaroid back for sheet film (4x5) with my pinhole camera. I have a problem when I want to get the film out of the holder as the metal strip on the film envelope seems to get stuck somewhere and I have to pull very hard to get the film out. That does not help even development and I'm always missing a corner of my picture.

From the figures in the Polaroid manual, I kind of guessed that the metal strip should be able to get out of the holder together with the film. I opened the holder and even with everything at the right place (there are not so many parts), the film does not get out smoothly.

Did someone here also experienced this problem? Any tips to solve it?
    Ilona

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When you turn the lever to "P", does it push the metal button underneath ? If you push the button (meant to release the metal strip of the film), is it still as hard as you say to pull the film ?

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    The film gets released at the bottom of the holder, that's not the problem. The whole release mechanism works fine. However, the film metal strip stays somehow blocked before the rollers no matter what.

The envelope latch is in correct position. I checked (that was a pain to (re)install it). And if I look inside the holder, the latch mechanism is also moving correctly when the release lever (R) is pushed. So, I don't get it...
    Ilona

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If the metal strip is released from the bottom and THEN gets stuck just before getting to the rollers (or just when it gets there) you should check to see if there is some kind of dent or damage done to the device that creates the obstacle, or maybe a piece of metal (or even paper) that got sometime ago stuck there and blocks the way. Of course, if something like that has happened, it should be difficult to LOAD the film in the back, too...

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Hi!

Loading was fine as far as I could judge. I could not find anything blocking or any damage either. I finally resorted to remove the envelope latch and it seems that it has solved my film extraction problem.

I still have to try processing a sheet of film for real though, but I now succeed in removing a sheet without processing, at least. Of course, now I have to be careful not pulling the film envelop all the way out when I expose the film.

Maybe the metal strip at the end of the film envelop became bigger over time? I'm using an old holder...
    Ilona

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi ilona -

what kind of polaroid back are using ?
    over the years my 545 back has failed a bunch of times.
    the metal end gets jammed (like you talk about), the tab-springgy-thingy stopps latching onto the metal end &C too. my local repair guy was able to take it apart and fix it, wasn't expensive.

while it was in the shop, i got antsy and bought a#500 back as a spare. it is olde, thin, and allegedly for obsolete film. (i was turned onto it by a friend). this junk-back bought for 15$ works better than the 545. the rollers spread the pod of chems more evenly, and it hasn't failed in 6 years of use (not to mention the use it got before me). the only thing that can go wrong is the tab-springgy-thingy is sometimes removed and there isn't a stop to prevent you from removing the whole sheet of paper when you are ready to expose. you just need to pull it " enough " ( kind of like the russian saying about making tea " how is your tea so good? ahh, you add just enough water"

hope you get yours working, but just in case i added a link to a cheep replacement

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    hi ilona -
    the only thing that can go wrong is the tab-springgy-thingy is sometimes removed and there isn't a stop to prevent you from removing the whole sheet of paper when you are ready to expose. you just need to pull it " enough "

- john
    I have one of those 500's too John. I just pull out the sheet until the circle with the X throught it ( on the lens facing side) is just fully visible and clear of the holder. Usually works. These holders are very well made (all steel)..

--John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin