Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,277   Online: 786

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller
    I've used a piece of thick cardboard covered with black velvet. I place this over the lens, remove the darkslide, pull the card away from the lens a few mm & let the vibration settle. I then pull the card away completely, count, quickly cover the lens with the card, and replace the darkslide.
    This is pretty much what I do. I cover the lens, pull the dark slide, try to estimate the exposure as closely as I can and then cover the lens before reinserting the dark slide. I'm pretty sure that's how I did this one attached (I'd check my log, but it's in the truck)

cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WakefieldBridge.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    My Apology Tom H, I just could not remember who authored the post and my computer skills are so poor I did not know how to find it, just that it was a good post!

Charlie.............................
    No problem Charlie - and thanks for the kind words!

BTW, if you put in a drawstring, the lens sock makes a good lens case, as well.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I made a drop shutter for a Cokin P filter holder. Works like a charm.

G

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argus
    I made a drop shutter for a Cokin P filter holder. Works like a charm.

G
    I take it that once you have a mechanism in place then you have some control over shutter speed by altering the slit width, like a focal plane shutter?

Cheers

Martin
    I'm Spartacus!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseowl
    I take it that once you have a mechanism in place then you have some control over shutter speed by altering the slit width, like a focal plane shutter?

Cheers

Martin
    Not at all. Shutter speeds are only accurate from 1 second an up.

The big advantage is that you can use filters in front of the lens. That's impossible with the sock shutter idea.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argus
    The big advantage is that you can use filters in front of the lens. That's impossible with the sock shutter idea.

G
    Not really impossible.

The quoted statement MAY be correct if one is using Gel or plastic filters mounted in front of the lens.

Obviously, it is not a correct statement if one uses screw-in glass filters.

Also it is not a correct statement if one has Apo Nikkor and Apo Ronar lenses or other process lenses (like I do) which incorporate a filter insert slot in the lens barrel at the center of the lens and filter inserts (slips).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Might checkthis link out. A bit slow to load (real slow if dial up) but really a good to see how the process works...he uses a sock for a shutter.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Jim's "wrist flick" shutter works great.

I have used it outdoors with up to 400 speed film with little trouble. It does take a little practice to get started, but no extra equipment is needed - just two dark slides.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like to shoot really slow and I rarely bring anything to use as a shutter other than the dark cloth. I just wad it up and cover the lens, then pull the slide and slowly slide the cloth away from the lens. You can hold it an inch or 2 in front of the lens and you won't get any exposuse. Then remove and expose for your desired time. Its very easy to get down to 1 sec exposures but I like to shoot very slow, somewhere in the 10 sec range and up into the minutes. I enjoy having trees blowing in the wind to soften an image that would otherwise be fully sharp. I shoot alot in overcast but also in the sun with 25 speed film I am frequently using a red filter or a dark neutral density to slow down the film. Om the other hand with the huge camera (30x40cm) my film is iso 3 and I dont have to do anything to slow it down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin