Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,523   Posts: 1,598,238   Online: 849

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Using a lens sans shutter, tips required.

I have a componon 300mm f5.6 (I know it's an enlarging lens.) which I intend to use on a 5X4. As it doesn't have a shutter I'm curious as to any tips on using it without one.

The big concern I have is how to avoid camera shake when removing the cap for the exposure. (I suppose I could save up for a top hat!)

If this doesn't pan out too well I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, I paid the princely sum of £2.70 for it off a certain auction site.

TIA

Martin
    I'm Spartacus!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, if you shoot ISO 100 or faster film you'll certainly need short timed exposures.

So use slower film, ideally ISO 25, shoot well stopped down, and used the darkslide in front of the lens trick. If you must use ISO 100 film, use negative film since it is very tolerant of exposure errors.

Or front-mount the thing on a #1 or larger. I know it seems strange, but vignetting won't be a problem if you shoot straight ahead.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Personally, I think it would be the epitome of cool to use the hat, and then wear it when it's not serving as a 'shutter', but couldn't you make a loose 'cap' to slip over the entire lens, perhaps lined with black fabric? It might allow you to cover the lens long enough to put the dark slide back...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could use ND filters to slow the film speed down and lengthen the shutter times to use a dark slide or a hat.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is an excellent thread done awhile back including examples in the gallery of what can be done with a sock shutter. I can't remember who posted it, perhaps "Flotsam" but am not sure. It tells how to make and use it,
    and what results you can expect from it. The dark slide, hat and even plain hand can work, but the sock makes the most sense to me.

Sorry I cannot recall who's post this was because it was a dandy to my way of thinking.

Charlie.................................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used a piece of thick cardboard covered with black velvet. I place this over the lens, remove the darkslide, pull the card away from the lens a few mm & let the vibration settle. I then pull the card away completely, count, quickly cover the lens with the card, and replace the darkslide.

This looks like it would work pretty good for shorter exposures: http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...=galli+shutter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There is a discussion of what Charlie is talking about here

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=1578

and here

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=1578

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Apology Tom H, I just could not remember who authored the post and my computer skills are so poor I did not know how to find it, just that it was a good post!

Charlie.............................

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is a great discussion! I think the sock idea may be just the ticket for me. Here is some more discussion....http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...highlight=sock
    —Eric

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks, plenty of food for thought there. Both Jim Gallis, "wrist flick shutter" and the idea of a sock shutter have plenty of promise.

Cheers

Martin
    I'm Spartacus!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin