Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,052   Online: 1119

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

corners getting soft on 8x10 format

I just took my 8x10 out for the first time last weekend. B&J with an Imagon soft focus lens. Since I was shooting scenics and wanting max DOF, I didn't use the discs that are usually used with the lens. I stopped down all the way and shot. After developing the film, all four corners were soft. Will a front swing correct this or is there more to it, like not using the discs? Thanks for any help. - Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What's the focal length of your Imagon? It may just not cover the format sharply even when stopped down all the way.

The disks don't make the image soft per se. The lens is designed to have a fair amount of uncorrected spherical aberration wide open, so the light rays that enter at the edge of the lens focus at a different plane than the rays that enter the center the lens. If you stop down the lens with the normal iris, the image sharpens up, because you are only using the rays at the center, reducing the spherical aberration. The disks are designed to preserve much of the spherical aberration, while reducing the amount of light entering the lens, so you get a longer exposure than you would shooting wide open, but the image stays soft.

In any case, I just wouldn't use an Imagon if the goal is to make a sharp image. That's just not what it's made for.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    You should use at least a 420mm Imagon for 8x10".

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    David- It's a 300mm. It's from an Ansco 8x10 studio camera, so I assumed it would work.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    The 300mm is good for 5x7" at most. They recommended 250mm for 4x5"...

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    In any case, I just wouldn't use an Imagon if the goal is to make a sharp image. That's just not what it's made for.
    The purpose of the lens is to make a sharp but soft image.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for the info Petzi....did some test strips from the center of the negs and they looked beautiful....sharp, but with a soft and smooth look. It's a shame it won't cover. Back to Ebay I guess.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aj-images
    David- It's a 300mm. It's from an Ansco 8x10 studio camera, so I assumed it would work.
    Maybe it did work when focused for head-and-shoulder portraits. Also, the soft corners wouldn't bother some portrait photographers.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    That's right, but he said he was shooting scenics.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin