Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,390   Online: 862

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

LINHOF TECH III CAM QUESTION

I JUST GOT A LINHOF TECH III 6X9 AND IT IS REALLY A WELL THOUGHT OUT GOOD FEELING CAMERA. HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CAMS. I KNOW THAT THEY ARE MATCHED TO THE CAMERA BODY AND LENS BUT I WAS WONDERING HOW A LENS OF THE SAME FOCAL LENGTH COULD POSSIBLY WORK DIFFERENTLY. MAYBE ALL 100MM LENSES ARE NOT REALLY EXACTLY 100MMS. ANYBODY TRIED TO USE A DIFFERENT LENS SAME FOCAL LENGTH COMBO TO SEE HOW IT WORKS? ALSO I CAME WITH A 105MM F3.5 XENAR. ANYONE KNOW THE IMAGE CIRCLE OF THIS LENS OR KNOW HOW SHARP IT IS? I GUESS THAT IS A HARD QUESTION TO ANSWER, MAYBE COMPARED TO MY HASSY 80MM PLANAR T*.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The nominal focal length is usually slightly different from the actual focal length, mainly due to variations in the refractive index of the glass. Another cam might come close, but it won't be as precise as a cam ground for the particular lens, which is an issue if you want to shoot wide open.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know your excited, but you need to turn your caps lock key off, it looks like your yelling.

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

its strange isnt it?

WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE SOMEONE IS YELLING WHEN THEY HAVE THE CAPS ON? never understood that. Also if the nature of the problem is that they are slightly different focal legth than should the rangefinder be off the same amount all the time. So you could always focus a little short and it would be fine? Any one had a new cam machined lately? how much did it cost and who did you go through?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycletricycle
    WHY DOES IT LOOK LIKE SOMEONE IS YELLING WHEN THEY HAVE THE CAPS ON? never understood that.
    Just one of those things that have been around since the dawn of online chats many moons ago, when we did not have any type of graphical interface and the only way you could show emphisis was to turn your caps lock on...been considered bad manners every since.

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

ALL RIGHT, IM SORRY!

Just kidding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the III bodies, the relative placement of the film plane is variable. SO, a given cam is based upon the specific lens on a specific body. You MIGHT get close, but you'll have to move the groundglass to agree with the cam ( and adjust the infinity stop, which - I think - is a simple notch on the rail.

And THAT will undo the accuracy of the existing cam and lens you have.

A wide angle lens will be less of a problem; you can fine tune the lens on the board by shimming it.

Linhof changed this system in the IV.

As for the 100 Xenar vs 80 Planar ? The Planar will be nominally better wide open, and is a newer lens. The Xenar, however,is superb.

have fun
    Last edited by df cardwell; 05-26-2006 at 10:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

ground glass placement variations due to variable maufacturing tolerances?

that is strange, everything else seems so well fitted, I cant imagine each camera would have a different GG placement but that would explain it. i guess in that way it is kind of like the original pre "C" leicas, in that they also varied in lens to film registration from camera to camera. Thaks for the info about the lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Linhof changed this system in the IV.
    Actually the Tech V was the first to have a "zeroed" groundglass. The 4x5" IV, V, and Master Tech have mechanically interchangeable cams, but Tech IV cams are matched to the body, and V and MT cams don't have to be. The groundglass rests on adjustible shims that are calibrated at the factory, and if you have new lenses cammed, you can have Linhof service check the groundglass calibration.

Leica rangefinder lenses are also individually machined to account for variations in focal length among lenses of the same design.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Right, David. How can you remember that stuff this late at night ?

don
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin