Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,013   Online: 699

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lens Flare on Speed Graphic Ektar 127mm f/4.7

My 4x5 is a Speed Graphic (it still works and the price was right). I got a ton of lens flare from the sun with my Ektar 127mm f/4.7 lens. Is this anything that can be solved with a hood (what/how big) or do I need a modern coated lens? Would a polarizer help? Is this the nature of the lens or do they all do that?

Thanks!

Dorothy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do this happen mainly when you are shooting against the light, or all the time? Is the lens flare light patches or a general flare which lowers contrast?Does the lens look clean when you shine a torch through it? Are mold or scratches visible? Can you post an example of a pix with this flare? A 127 Ektar in good shape should not exhibit excessive flare, any more so than any other single-coated lens of the same age. Is your lens pre- or post-war? I do not have an Ektar to hand, I believe the post-war coated examples have a letter "L" on the mount ("Lumenized", Kodak-speak for single coated).

Regards,

David

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would double check the bellows for tiny pinholes first. My 1944 127mm Ektar has no flre to speak of, but the first few daylight shots looked like it, until I cheked the bellows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    this is the first time I noticed it. I was shooting into the light in the woods around 5:00 pm. I was along side a creek and the sun was peering through the trees. The lens looks clean, except a small patch of mold - but only at f/4.7. I was at f/16. I tried holding the dark slide to keep the sun out of the lens, but it showed up as a shadow (out of focus slide) in the image. I rotated the camera on the tripod and could see the flare through the ground glass. So I tried holding my hand up over the lens. My arms aren't long enough to see through the camera at the same time

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    There is your problem. Just dont let sunlight be hitting your lens dirrectly when shooting. Simple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    Can you post an example of a pix with this flare? A 127 Ektar in good shape should not exhibit excessive flare, any more so than any other single-coated lens of the same age. Is your lens pre- or post-war? I do not have an Ektar to hand, I believe the post-war coated examples have a letter "L" on the mount ("Lumenized", Kodak-speak for single coated).

Regards,

David
    I don't have an example with the flare, only the botched attempt at getting rid of it. The lens has an L with a circle around it. I guess that would be 'lumenized'? What is single coated? Is there a better coating?

(Never mind the compostition/exposure/contrast...I think I can fix that. I'm very new at this. ) (trying not to be embarrassed showing my bad comps)

-Dorothy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lens flare.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dorothy, the "circle L" means that the lens is Lumenized, i.e., hard coated. That's all the coating Kodak offered and its more than is needed on tessar type lenses like your Ektar.

I didn't see flare in the sample you posted, I saw blown-out highlights and a very contrasty print. If flare had been a problem, you wouldn't have so much contrast.

You should probably unscrew your lens' cells from the shutter and clean the accessible surfaces. Mold should not be left to grow.

When you're done the rear cell, which contains a cemented doublet, should be crystal clear. If it isn't, time for a new lens. The front cell contains two singlets and basically can't be opened for cleaning the interior surfaces. If there's crude inside it, time for a new lens.

I have two 101/4.5 Ektars, much the same lens as yours but shorter; one coated, the other not. The uncoated one shoots better and neither has flare problems. But, when I make the effort I can take shots like yours with the uncoated one. The difference between mine and yours is that I rarely underexpose the background so much. How did you meter that shot?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    The difference between mine and yours is that I rarely underexpose the background so much. How did you meter that shot?
    That could also be a result of a flatbed scanner. The negative looks ok (I developed them this am).

I used a spot meter and took a reading off the tree where I wanted detail (start w/Zone V), then used my Gossen to figure what Zone III would be for the tree and metered it that way. I think it was 1 sec @ f/16. Efke 100 shot at EI50. It was a very shaded area as it was already 5 in the afternoon. This was more of a practice run, so I wasn't expecting much. More to see how the film responded.

I have another shot, I'll scan it and see the difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss
    I have another shot, I'll scan it and see the difference.
    This is more what I was seeing. Yuk! Is there a better hood? I was using a Tiffen Series #6 W.A. (wrong choice), but I also have another one that I didn't have with me at the time.

I just measured the densities of the first image (with a very crude Kodak densitometer)...It measures .25 - 1.5 with fb-f @ .05

Guess I'm not ready for the big leagues!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lens flare2.jpg  

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely check the interior of the lens. Could be there is some haze inside that the sun is catching. As for the lens hood, the one on mine doesn't have a name - I went down to the camera store and picked through their bin of old series hoods and filters until I found one that looked right. But there are lots of makeshift solutions possible, including making one from cardboard.

Don't worry about the big leagues, the important part is to have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin