Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,344   Online: 1166

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

naybody have an opinion about using digital lenses w/ film?

I want a really sharp lens for my 6x6-6x9 cameras in the 130-150mm range and thought that maybe one of those schneider or rodenstock digial lenses might be the ticket. Also they are supposed to be better wide open which is important to me. Also all the other lenses that are modern in this range are for 4x5, will all that extra light bounce of my bellows and decrease contrast or image quality in some other way?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    what is the covering power of the lens? 35,6x6 ect.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

it will cover a lot of formats, 150mm circle

it has 150 mm covering power.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At a trade show last year, I asked a Linos (Rodenstock) representative about the differences. One thing mentioned was that a CCD sensor has a more reflective surface than film, so the coating on the rear element is different to account for that. He stated that their newest lenses would work fine with film, though he pointed out that the shorter focal lengths only cover a very small area.

My personal opinion is that unless you plan on getting a PhaseOne, Imacon, JenOptik or Leaf back, skip on these high priced lenses. While they might be better at larger aperture openings, I doubt the difference would be enough to matter for most images. Also, I have yet to see any convincing evidence that you could not use normal modern large format lenses with any of those backs. Comments on the ALPA website seem to confirm my opinion that many modern lenses are quite good for film or any other method of capturing an image.

Ciao!

Gordon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin