Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,520   Online: 1318

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Just got the Gowland!(and it's better than I expected)

Hi, all

I just got the camera today, and was pleasantly surprised by the extra features it came with. It has the separate rise and tilt front, a fresnel, a 2 screw back for switching orientation, and bubble levels. I thought I was getting the plane Jane model. Anyway, 2 questions. The focus gear is a little stiff, so I wanted to know how to lubricate it. Also, the levels are dried out, so I wondered if there are standard replacements for the vials or whether it's a specially made part for Gowland.
    The lens, btw, is in much better shape than I was led to believe. there's something in there, but it's not fungus. Looks more like dust or tiny bubbles. anyway, not bad for what I paid, plus I got a bunch of holders and film.
    I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once I actually start using it, but I'm psyched!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Contact Peter Gowland. He's very approachable and loves to talk about his cameras. If the levels are original and he has spares, he can replace them very affordably. His contact info is at www.petergowland.com.

If the focus wheel is stiff it might need to be disassembled, cleaned with a solvent like naphtha, and greased, but it might also just be a little overtightenened. Check the screws on the two plates under the focus block. This is a bit of a wonky part on the Gowland. If it's too loose, the front standard becomes wobbly. SK Grimes offers a modification to a geared mechanism instead of the friction wheel that is standard on the camera.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    mr gowland is a real treat to talk to.
    i was going to buy a gowland tlr about 8 months ago, and talked to him
    about refurbishing and parts &C, he and his wife are SO NICE!

have fun with the new camera

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    mr gowland is a real treat to talk to.
    i was going to buy a gowland tlr about 8 months ago, and talked to him
    about refurbishing and parts &C, he and his wife are SO NICE!

have fun with the new camera

- john
    You'd be nice too if you spent most of your adult life taking glamour pics...with the wife's assist. There was a good write-up about Gowland in a recent View Cam magazine, I think.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin