Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,973   Online: 1084

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll fourth or fifth the Wehman. I have the 2006 model and am really enjoying it. It's everything they say it is. A real joy to use. Cheaper than both of those models, new, and has a lifetime warranty. Some would say that the Deardorff or the Wisner are more beautiful though.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    This may be of little use to you, but when I was shopping for my first view camera a few years ago, I was looking to buy a Deardorff. Then Jock Sturges turned me on to the Kodak Master View. Solid camera and they don't cost as much as a Deardorf. Best advice I ever got.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've had a number of 8x10's and all have served me well. Recently I purchased a tachihara from Midwest and am sticking with it. For many years I've looked at Deardorffs but have not been willing to pay the price. Craig

Shooter
    Large Format
    That's a really great looking Dorff! And, the Wisner is pretty nice as well!

One big advantage in going with a Dorff is that they can always be repaired or restored to new condition by either Richard Ritter or John Deardorff. Both are very reputable for quality craftsmanship.

Secondly, Dorffs have been around a verrrrrrrry long time - that has to tell you something about their endurability and durability!

Lastly, if you ever have a problem with the cameras' cosmetics (or, you're terribly bored during the winter months and don't want to go out shooting for the duration,) users have said it's relatively easy to take the hardware off and refinish it. Then, you've got a brand new looking camera!

I've not seen or used a Wehman camera so I can't make any comments on that suggestion.

However, I believe your question was a matter of choice between the Dorff and Wisner.

With no disrespect to either listing sellers, personally, I wouldn't be bidding on either of the cameras. I think they're a wee bit on the high-priced side of the street! I'd wait for another Dorff to come up on the block!

[BTW, I just recently won the bidding on a beautiful Dorff 8x10 for a very reasonable price. It's a great deal in light of how nice a condition it's in. If you'd like, please feel free to check it out under my name on e**y.]

So, deals are still out there to be found! And, like most of these situations, it's simply a matter of patience, patience, patience!

Good luck!

Cheers

I think you can still find user 'dorffs under 2k. Thats whatI'd look for (but I've already got my 'dorff!) KMVs are fine cameras but I think it would be hard to find a good one under 2K these days. I don't know a thing about Wisners so I can't comment on them.

'Dorffs are lovely cameras to work with IMHO.

Keep looking and you just might come across a Century Universal. If it was good enough for Edward Weston to lust after I think it would suit me just fine and maybe You, too.

I wonder how much a brand spankin' new Deardorff V8 would cost?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi John,

According to the 10-01-05 catalog from D.P.P.I. J. Deardorff Photographic Products Inc., they don't show a V8 8x10 any longer.

The catalog shows an 8x10 Signature Convertible for $3,565.00.

Refinishing a Dorff these days cost $695.00. That doesn't include the replacement of any of the metal parts though.

BTW... I think you'd enjoying seeing their catalog. It's priceless!

Cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have to ask a question to the experts: do those cameras (Dorff, Wisner, Wehman) have all the same capabilities (bed-bellows extension, swings-tilts, etc) ? Because of not, then the potential buyer should examine what he needs and what camera offers it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    For that money, I would opt for the Wehman. I recently purchased the new model wehman. It is light (a lot lighter at 8 pounds), plenty of movements, but if you are strictly archetecture, you may want to look elsewhere. If you are going to do field work, or travel, I would highly recommend the wehman. With its metal 'clam shell' and light weight, it is great for the field and travel. I have even extended the bellows all the way out and put a really big lens on it and it is rock steady....what a great feature on a really light camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Considering the differences in characteristics between the cameras which makes the best fit for the photography you will use it for?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you can afford it, buy the Deardorff. I personally don't think the Wisner's are built nearly as well nor as precise as the Deardorf. If you end up paying $400 more or so, believe me in a few years you'll have long forgotten about that extra few dollars. You can also wait a little for a used Canham to show up on eBay. I've owned one for over 15 years now and it has never failed me. Haven't tried a Wehman, but I did own a KMV for several years and I really liked it except for the short (28") of bellows draw. The Canham has 36" and that makes a big difference.

-R

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin