Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,479   Online: 920

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Which 8x10 is better?

Which of these two 8x10" cameras would you buy and why?

1) The Deardorff
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Deardorff-8...QQcmdZViewItem
    or
    2) The Wisner
    http://cgi.ebay.com/8x10-WISNER-EXPE...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in advance.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    That is one of the cleanest Deardorffs that I've ever seen...however, I think the price is quite high, and for that price, the Wisner is alot better of a deal! You would be much happier with the Wisner and you are getting a better deal if you can get it for the opening price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To be honest, I think they are both overpriced. I have a deardorff and love it and have also used a Wisner which didn't impress me as much. I think Bruce's on eBay has deardorffs for $1500 or so, the one you linked to will probably go to a collector with deep pockets.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    You could also buy a Wehman 8x10 brand spankin new for 100 dollars cheeper. I've seen the Wehman cameras in person and they are VERY nice and alot more compact and lighter than both those cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh
    You could also buy a Wehman 8x10 brand spankin new for 100 dollars cheeper. I've seen the Wehman cameras in person and they are VERY nice and alot more compact and lighter than both those cameras.
    I`ll second that. I have a Wehman and couldn`t be happier. His new 2006 model has some improvements over his previous models too...
    Amund

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh
    I agree with Ryan. I own an 8x10 Wehman and I like it a lot.

http://www.wehmancamera.com/

I bought my 8x10 Wehman directly from Bruce Wehman and he is a very nice guy to deal with.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not buy either of them at the beginning bid, they seem to be overpriced and the Dorff is clean, but I would expect about $400 south of this price for a good clean Dorff, the Wisner is iffy, but there are actually quite a few of these around these days as Ron is or was a current manufacture, so I would not pay this amount of money for either of them.

Good Luck on your quest..

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're not absolutely set on a wood camera, for that kind of money I would go for the Wehman. I got to play with one. They're tough, lighter and have more movements (in general). I love the Deardorff, and that is a BEAUTIFUL one, but even with a rehab mine probably cost about half of that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think the cow's out of the barn for the auction site. The 'good deals' are fewer and farther between. Some of the auctions that have 'counters' just show how popular these items are getting there, and auction fever sets in and prices get high. I still buy the odd thing there, but I think a lot of it is a bit overpriced now.

I am seriously thinking of a Wehman. There is a romance about a Deardorff, but the Wehman just seems like a very practical and significant upgrade from my Calumet C1.
    Neal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonneal
    I think the cow's out of the barn for the auction site. The 'good deals' are fewer and farther between. Some of the auctions that have 'counters' just show how popular these items are getting there, and auction fever sets in and prices get high. I still buy the odd thing there, but I think a lot of it is a bit overpriced now.

Neal
    I went to my local used equipment junk place (they are fairly common here in Silicon Valley) and found a MacBeth Densitometer on the shelf (a 504 I think) with a half inch of dust on it. Asked how much, he came back a bit later and gave me an astronomical price... he looked it up on on EBay and found out how much a good clean working one was, took 20% off and there was his price. Of course he kept it also. No more steals anywhere there is internet access.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin