Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,118   Posts: 1,636,796   Online: 1109

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

schneider xenotar vs. modern symmar and also zeiss unar soft focus

i am lokking for a new lens for 6x9 and would like something fast like an old schneider xenotar or zeiss (f2.8) and i am trying to get an idea of how much sharper a modern lrns like a symmar would be, I am looking for something in the 100-135mm range. Contrast issues are not as important because i mostly shoot at night and the subject matter tends to be pretty contrasty anyways. I also posted something about the newer gigital lenses and possibly using one of those, I guess they are higher resoluton than the regular film lenses, however they are not faster. Also if i do go for the modern lens is there much difference between a nikon, schneider and rodenstock, if they all modern versions. Also what does APO mean, i think it has something to do with color film (which i dont use) would these also be sharper or better in some other way for my purposes? I noticed that on my old lenses with compur shutters that the iris is more round because they have more blades than modern copals, does that help the out of focus areas? why dont new shutters have more blades for the iris? does it not matter? anyody know much about a zeiss unar soft focus lens, cant find much and i saw one for sale listed as an f/1.5, sound pretty cool.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Unar is not a standard aperture scale, it is probably a German Stolze scale, which would translate to about f3.5.

I have compared a 1950s 100/2.8 Linhof Xenotar to a 1990s 100/5.6 Sironar-N MC on a 6x9 Linhof Technika. Both were really very sharp lenses, and at f5.6-f8 would perform about the same. Past f11 the Sironar was significantly sharper. I kept both, since the Xenotar had no space for movement, but was perfect for hand-holding.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

dp you know what kind of soft focus the unar is?

does it have one of those levers to adjust the softness?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Watch the Unar--there are two types:

1) a "portrait" unar that has variable soft-focus
    and
    2) a regular Unar

(1) lenses sell for a lot. (2) not so much.

From what I read, the Unar was a first pass at a "fast" lens. It predates the Tessar by a couple of years. I think that the Tessar pused the standard Unar out of the market.

I have a 5x8 Unar in great shape. I never really got a chance to use it and see how well it works. It is on my list of lenses I will likely sell...whenever I get around to selling lenses.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

is yours a #1 expensive or #2 not so much?

which unar do ya got?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycletricycle
    which unar do ya got?
    Hello,

I have the standard Unar.

Matt

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    An f1.5 Unar is from long ago when a different f stop system was in use. Someone with less dead brain cells than me will remember the name (US System?) and chime in. But f1.5 in that system equates to f5 in our current system which makes it a whole lot less sexy.

An extremely nice lens to consider is the 100mm f2.8 Mamiya Universal lens that was designed for 6X9. Like the Xenotar it is a planar type. It's incredibly sharp getting into the 90 lppm world at it's optimum aperture IIRC, and it's cells will come out of the diminutive Seikosha shutter and into a Copal 0. Might be worth a look.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    An extremely nice lens to consider is the 100mm f2.8 Mamiya Universal lens that was designed for 6X9. Like the Xenotar it is a planar type. It's incredibly sharp getting into the 90 lppm world at it's optimum aperture IIRC, and it's cells will come out of the diminutive Seikosha shutter and into a Copal 0. Might be worth a look.
    I bought a 100mm f2.8 Mamiya about 2 months ago on eBay. Sounds like I better hang it on my Century Graphic and try it out.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

sounds good

a quick look shows ni 100mm f2,8 mamiya universal lenses for sale on the oldebay. only 100mm f3.5. i guess ill keep looking. sounds like a good lens for probably not too much? how much do those babies go for? A lot less than a xenotar probably

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

what about the zeiss lenses from graflex xl's?

any good lenses to scavenge from those mounts? I think zeiss and rodenstock provided lenses for those cameras didn't they? is that 100mm f2.8 planar any good?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin