Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,057   Online: 781

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Images
    Go with the medium format. If for no other reason than this gives you an excuse to buy one. I would love a Mamiya 7II. You will have bigger negsor slides and the prints will not suffer greatly from enlargement. COmpare a 35mm neg to a 6x7 and you will see what I mean. Leave the LF at home. You and your wife will have more fun if you are loaded with camera equipment.

In our forays to Vancouver I learned quickly that being able to shoot and move on made the wife happier. And my shoulder did not hurt as much. I use a Hartblei Master 88 and I carry two lenses: 45mm and a 120. I carry three film backs. One for BW-Delta 100 and two for color Provia 100F and I keep a very small supply of velvia and 400NC negative film. This and a light tripod is a fine walking setup.

Have fun on your trip. I am Jealous.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    MF. I wouldn't want to try using a tripod in a city during high tourist season. Monopod maybe -)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What 35mm camera are you using? Try XP5, rated at 200 or 250, in HC110 dil. E or H. If you don't have one, pick up a Contax G1 or G2, with the 45mm Planar. Then, find a Leitz Valoy enlarger. I got one a couple of years ago off eBay for $50. That's right, $50.!!! You'll get the best 35mm quality you've ever had.
    This comes from an almost pure 4X5 and 8X10 guy. Personally I'd love to shoot in Europe with my Contax. Anyone else a Cartier-Bresson wanna-be? Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dphphoto
    Try XP5, rated at 200 or 250, in HC110 dil. E or H.
    And what color film would you recommend?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Advising people to spend big dollars on additional photo equipment seems to be quite popular on Apug.

If for reasons of insanity or otherwise you choose to buy a new camera, I strongly urge your getting very familar with it before leaving on the trip.

One needs to be careful of getting OS..Ole Syndrome...it is virulent and extremely contagious.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi mike

we travel to eastern france from time to time to visit family.
    whenever we go, i want to bring a lf kit. nothing to elaborate -
    a box or 2 of film, a few holders and either a box camera or a speed
    graphic + 1 lens - a 127 tominon. i go through the motions of packing it, until i realize how big all
    this stuff is ( for main luggage or carry-on ) then i think bout shipping it
    (since we have family to ship to) and shipping back
    to avoid the hassle of bringing it all with me ...
    until i come to an understanding of the cost of shipping.
    then i realize that 35mm really isn't that bad,
    and i bring a pentax
    a few lenses and a bunch of film
    an auto110 ( the camera and all the lenses can fit in my shirt pocket)
    + my better 1/2's point and shoot.
    i don't know if xp2 is still made,
    but you might consider it as well as cn400 ...
    the ilford film is designed with b/w darkroom in mind,
    the kodak version has an orange mask and
    is made with the (color) mini-lab in mind.
    both are smooth films and you can get nice enlargments from them,
    if you don't want to use traditional b/w film.
    color- we usually use fujichrome astia (?) 100 and cheep-o-consumer fuji color fillm.
    we usually get a good price / roll and buy 50 at a time.

even though we will be visiting family again this winter,
    we we will have a home-base, a car and a few weeks on our plate,
    i will probably bring a 35mm again ( no auto110 )
    and not sweat it
    ( unless i can make a collapsable pinhole camera and bring a box of paper with me.)
    i don't enlarge bigger than 8x10 paper anymore,
    so grain &C isn't much of an issue.
    i'll probably shoot either ilford 400 xxx,+x or tm? and the same color as B4.

good luck with your decision.

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 05-31-2006 at 05:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    And what color film would you recommend?
    I meant HP5. Sorry. I haven't shot color film in years. When I did, I used whatever Fuji had out at the time.
    dphphoto

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dphphoto
    I meant HP5. Sorry. I haven't shot color film in years. When I did, I used whatever Fuji had out at the time.
    The reason I asked you and TheFlyingCamera is because there seems to be a real myoptic view here on APUG that everyone shoots only B&W.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Advising people to spend big dollars on additional photo equipment seems to be quite popular on Apug.

If for reasons of insanity or otherwise you choose to buy a new camera, I strongly urge your getting very familar with it before leaving on the trip.

One needs to be careful of getting OS..Ole Syndrome...it is virulent and extremely contagious.
    Good points. But I'd still recommend anyone doing 35mm to get a Leitz enlarger, at whatever price level you can afford. It WILL make a difference. And mine really was $50.
    You're in Milwaukee? I went to Marquette long, long ago. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with many of the suggestions that a medium format camera would be a good compromise. Specifically, as mentioned, the Mamiya 7/7II would make a good traveling companion.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin