Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,845   Online: 762

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    The reason I asked you and TheFlyingCamera is because there seems to be a real myoptic view here on APUG that everyone shoots only B&W.
    I've seen some beautiful color work on the galleries here. I shoot b&w because I like it better than color, but that's me. In the old days I worked in pro labs as a custom color printer, then shot in a couple of places as an in-house studio photographer. So I could do color if I wanted to. B&W's more fun. Dean
    dphphoto

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    The reason I asked you and TheFlyingCamera is because there seems to be a real myoptic view here on APUG that everyone shoots only B&W.
    It seems you're right, and I'm as guilty of that as anyone.

I use Kodak Portra 160NC and 160VC, as long as it still exists...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wrote a long message about my experience in Europe but the APUG spell checker croaked and lost it.

I took a 645 and three lenses, tripod, monopod. In Paris a tripod is looked at like a rifle. In churches a camera and flash will get you yelled at. I should have taken my Busch 2x3 and all the accessories, Graflok back with Grafmatics, film holders and roll film holders. That would have given me some perspective control when I could use a tripod and sheet and roll film choices with the ability to change speeds and emulsions. I could shoot BW 6x7 sheet and then 120 color. If I were to take a view camera it would be my 5x7. I figure if I am going to do it might as well go a little larger. A hand held 8x10 would work too.

Regards,
    Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can do very fine work with a 35mm, 2 or 3 lens, slow to medium speed film either black and white or color with a monopod. My personal perferance is to shoot Kodak B&W C41 so I can have the negatives processed before I return as well as ASA 100 or 200 color film. I often travel with a small rangfinder and a 6X6 TLR as well, my wife carries the rangfinder in her luggage and I carry the 6X6 in my camera bag with a small light meter. I pay extra to buy film on the road and have it processed as I shoot it in case I really mess up and want to reshoot. When I worked in Italy and Africa I only worked in 35mm but would shoot my personal stuff with 6X6 or even 4X5 with a Crown. Traveling with 4X5 is much more of a challenge, changing film, getting it processed, keeping the air port folks from opening a box of exposed film, and just keeping track of each 4X5 negative takes time and commitment.

Good luck and have fun.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes DPhphoto we remeber you. Largley recovered are we. The local pholks are working with Homeland Security to be prepared for a similar situation. .
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    8x10 Format

never compromise

Mike,
    Never compromise. Take the LF gear. If you are so dissatisfied with the 35mm results why even consider it? In the last few years I've flown to Europe 4 times and NYC 3 times (from Houston). My entire 8x10 system fits in a carry on backpack. 8x10 Zone Vl, Gitzo carbon fiber, small Reis head, 6 film holders, meter, changing bag etc. On the first trip to NYC I only took the Hasselblad and I still haven't printed those negs. The only thing I plan to change is the backpack. I really need wheels. A 22" pack should be all you need to check on the plane.
    Good Trip!
    Jack

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Wyno

Take the 4x5. I went to Ireland with the 4x5 and used velvia 50 and had a great time. My partner took the digital, so we've got the best of both worlds.
    Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    MF is probably the best compromise in that situation. If you do decide to get a new camera, make sure you have enough time to use it and get familiar with it. Otherwise, it's better to stick with what you know. For European travel where I'm mostly going to be walking around in cities, I've had pretty good results carrying my Bronica S2a kit, usually 5 lenses and 3-5 backs (-1, N, +1, color, flexible), but on any given outing, I usually take 1-3 lenses and 3 backs.

As for film, use what you're comfortable with. You don't want to be testing out a new film on a trip you may not repeat.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You might also look into an old 6x9 folder, e.g., an Agfa, Voigtlander, or Zeiss. The lens quality is not up there with some of the MF cameras mentioned here, but with a coated lens can be quite good. The difference in negative size from 35mm is more than 6:1, while LF is larger than 6x9 by only a bit more than 2:1. And they are small and light. After all, they were the travel cameras of fifty years ago.

The only key issue is to be sure the bellows are light-tight. Cost, with a new bellows and CLA, should be ~$200.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I took a trip to mexico last year, my wife said hell no to the 4x5, It would be much of a vacation for them watching me photograph. Instead I brought a Leica, and a Rolleicord. I made some great prints from the Rollei negatives, and we had a great time. I was actuallly glad to have packed light with all the walking we did.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin