Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,663   Online: 937

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    The reason I asked you and TheFlyingCamera is because there seems to be a real myoptic view here on APUG that everyone shoots only B&W.
    I responded with the comment about the T400CN because he specifically mentioned that he was doing his own development. Had he asked about color, my first response would have been, what is your desired output format, and what is your preferred film stock? If he wants prints, I'd say Fuji NPS 160. If he wanted transparencies, the new Fuji Velvia 100. Those are my personal preferences, but I'm more of a b/w guy because I still don't have the color facility at home that I'd like to, and I don't trust pro labs with that work anymore.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM1977
    ... have my wife take digi-crap snapshots, 3) purchase medium-format like a Mamiya 7 and be satisfied with 6x7 negs.
    Hi Mike,

LOL... just make sure you don't tell your wife that she's taking digi-crap snapshots! Otherwise, she'll NEVER carry your tripod!!

Seriously speaking, the real down-side to taking a LF camera is having to drag a tripod along with you. That's the real deal breaker in my mind. But, if you're one of those folks who doesn't mind carrying a pod (and doesn't mind being queried by the local gendarme every time you set up the camera on said pod) then I'd probably suggest taking both. But, pare the kit down so that it's manageable.

The alternative is to arrange a rental of a good tripod at the location you're visiting. I don't know about the logistics of doing this and whether this is a possibility or not... but you might look into it.

Otherwise, I'd most likely just take the 35 mm. BTW, that Mamiya 7 is a fine camera and will give you a nice usable film size.

Good luck on the decision!

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lets be real here, I would rather have my wife interested in photography and asking me points about using flash in a museum or composition and talking about pictures than not. So what if she uses a thousand dollar digital camera and puts the prints in a thing called a photo album. Her results are quite impressive and it's fun to see what someone else saw at the same time I was out. Believe me there is nothing worse than having a spouse sit in the car waiting for the other one to do some photography. I would go so far as to make sure she has enough equipment so she doesn't run out of storage etc.. The same as you would take enough film.

Regards,
    Curt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just to throw in my two cents. I shoot medium and large format, and some 35. But for great portability combined with great image quality you might want to consider a Rolleiflex TLR. These are pretty light and convenient to carry and snap pics. The 2.8's made from the 50's on will have pertty much the same image quality as a Hassy (same 2.8 Zeiss Planar). An additional plus is that many made since '56 have a built in meter. Older ones use a selenium meter, which if it is working ok is neat, and can be replaced if not. Make sure the shutter is working well at all speeds. The mechanical shutter will tend to be slow at 1/2 and 1 sec. if it needs oiling. After using Hassy's for several years I have gone back to the TLR for off hand shooting. Its lighter, and once you get used to it, very comfortable. Just a thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do a lot of work on both 35mm and 4x5", and while I don't get the tonality of 4x5" on 35mm, I still think 35mm has a lot of special qualities that I don't get on the larger formats. One such quality is grain. I thinks it looks good. Consider Tri-X in Rodinal f. ex., that is really wonderful stuff!

So, for a trip like that, I would go for 35mm with a couple of lenses, and perhaps my Yashica TLR, if there is any space left.

Trond

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A good point about 35mm. I think its best not to try to amke 35mm into something its not. I mean I use a 35 for handheld fast work, if i am going to use a tripod I might as well use a bigger format. The grit of Trix inrodinal has certain biting clarity of its own and can lend emotion and drama to a photograph.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin