Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,441   Online: 1069

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Repairing top mounted rangefinder on Speed Graphic 4x5

Hello everyone,

I have a Speed Graphic which is working beautifully in every regard except that the rangefinder (top mounted variety) seems to have uncoupled itself, in that the central image isn't moving at all when I focus.

Does anyone have any experience in dealing with these? Or any ideas where I can get more info - Googling doesn't seem to have brought anything up.

I get the impression that the top-mounted variety of rangefinder is the most difficult to adjust.

Thanks,

Euan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might take a look over at graflex.org and read through the information contained there and also their chat board, there are many over there and I know that they have discussed the rangefinders a lot, in additon one of the guys there maintains a download library on manuals and such.

R.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's possible that the cam popped loose (or isn't there) or isn't seated properly.
    That would cause that problem. Check underneath the rangefinder housing, there should be a metal flap on the inside top of the body. There should be a spring and a pin, with a metal 'cam' in the middle.. If you push the pin, the rangefinder image should move..

Hope that atleast gets you started in the right direction.
    Whatever you do, don't mess with the inside of the rangefinder yet.
    Don't touch the mirrors, the half-silvered one is ridiculously fragile. If you touch it, you stand a great chance of wiping the coating off and turning it into a clear piece of glass

Shooter
    Large Format
    This page: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic...icmanuals.html has a service manual for the top RF Pacemaker rangefinder. It is thirteenth down the page. I agree with Phillip about checking the cam first, especially if the RF was working and suddenly quit. If you solve the problem, please post and let us know what it was.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Robertson
    This page: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic...icmanuals.html has a service manual for the top RF Pacemaker rangefinder. It is thirteenth down the page. I agree with Phillip about checking the cam first, especially if the RF was working and suddenly quit. If you solve the problem, please post and let us know what it was.
    Fantastic - loads of information there for me. I think the problem I've got is that the plunger part of the rangefinder is stuck. I've tried a squirt of WD40, which hasn't worked so far.

Euan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would never use WD-40 on any camera part, that particular oil is very prone to attracking dirt and in the long run can cause far more problems than it can solve.

R.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxi331
    I would never use WD-40 on any camera part, that particular oil is very prone to attracking dirt and in the long run can cause far more problems than it can solve.

R.
    Roxi is right. WD-40 appears to be a very thin penetrating oil. It actually is more like a grease suspended in a solvent. When the solvent evaporates, what is left gums up cameras, locks, and many other things.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones
    Roxi is right. WD-40 appears to be a very thin penetrating oil. It actually is more like a grease suspended in a solvent. When the solvent evaporates, what is left gums up cameras, locks, and many other things.
    Ooh. I did give the part a little squirt, but I wiped up around and won't do that again... :rolleyes:

Euan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eubielicious
    Ooh. I did give the part a little squirt, but I wiped up around and won't do that again... :rolleyes:
    Too late... the damage is done ;-) Try wiping up with alcohol or lighter fluid (benzene) to get as much off as you can.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin