Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,935   Posts: 1,557,049   Online: 1282

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's a Cooke Series II Aviar 178mm on Ebay just now. A Cooke at f4.5 has a delicious look. Last evening a coated 190mm Ektar in a #4 Ilex finished at $67 or some rediculous number less than 70 bucks. The new owner can feel safe that if he took the wonderful Ektar elements out and threw them in the trash, he could probably re-list the shutter as a Goerz Artar shutter wannabe and sell it for $175. Pity. A coated 190mm f4.5 Ektar is as smooth as a '52 Buick straight eight. Contact me offline if you'd like to play with an ancient Bausch & Lomb lantern lens of about 8" length. It's a triplet like the Aviar but has no aperture no shutter. It's up to the photog to figure out how to make it do it's magic.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Uh, Jimbo, the Aviar ain't a triplet. It are a dialyte. I had a nice coated post-WWII 7"/4.5 Aviar for a while. Its a bit of a cult lens, but to my naive eye mine wasn't quite sharp enough.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Uh, Jimbo, the Aviar ain't a triplet. It are a dialyte. I had a nice coated post-WWII 7"/4.5 Aviar for a while. Its a bit of a cult lens, but to my naive eye mine wasn't quite sharp enough.
    Guess I need to retake Barbara's Cooke Optics 101 class again. I figured any series II was a triplet. Oh well, in the words of Roseanne Roseannadanna, [SIZE=1]"never mind"[/SIZE]
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aviars -

Check this out ! http://www.cookeoptics.com/cooke.nsf/history/1910

It's a sweety, much like a same period Dogmar.

d
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Zeiss Kodak Anastigmat f6.3 No 4 Pat Feb 23 04. It came off of a large Kodak folder. It covers 4X5 well. It's in a dial set compur. Might be just the thing you are looking for. They come up infrequetly on ebay.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look for a 3a folder with torn bellows. The lens had to cover 6.5" just to cover the postcard format. Be forewarned, though, the lens may be better than you expect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Guess I need to retake Barbara's Cooke Optics 101 class again. I figured any series II was a triplet. Oh well, in the words of Roseanne Roseannadanna, [SIZE=1]"never mind"[/SIZE]
    Jim, FWIW, I also find the names that TTH put on their lenses extremely confusing. For example, Ser. VII and VIIa are triplets, VIIb is a 4/4 double Gauss. Hmm.

The VM -- buy a copy if you don't have one already -- explains 'em well enough for me to understand. But since the VM is incomplete so I've had to buy a couple to find out what they were. Cheap thrills, sometimes cheap no thrills.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    Look for a 3a folder with torn bellows. The lens had to cover 6.5" just to cover the postcard format. Be forewarned, though, the lens may be better than you expect.
    This is an understatement. I've just completed a little lens torture exercise. On the emulsion I used with the target I chose etc. etc. etc. a CZJ pre-1912 150/6.3 Tessar produced images that can't be separated from ones made at the same apertures with two 150/9 Apo Ronars and a 150/9 G-Claron. Makes me wonder why I bother acquiring relatively modern lenses.

I couldn't mount up my ex-3a B&L Zeiss 5 3/8"/6.3, but I included a ~ 7"/6.3 B&L. Same story with it, but images taken with it stood out a little because of the slightly higher magnification.

Sam, if you want a crappy old lens that will take crappy pictures, look for a no-name Goerz Doppel Anastigmat. NOT a Series III, those are Dagors. The no-names are cheap dialytes and the 130/6.8 I have is flary, unsharp, basically not fit for use even though the original purchaser probably loved it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin