Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,445   Online: 807

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Old lenses for 4x5

Ive been toying with the idea of adding a period lens to my Tachihara kit. What I am after is less technical photograph, not necessarily soft focus but unique. Problem is I don't know where to start. Somthing in the 150-210mm range.

Any advice and direction would be appreciated.

An old Goerz Dagor. If you don't have one of these, IMHO you should have!

Also check out the 162mm Wollensak Series II F/4.5 Velostigmat and Kodak 203 F/7.7---nice examples of classic glass that many (myself included) find pleasing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about a very old (pre WWII) Zeiss Tessar? You can find these very low priced in barrel mount.

Ciao!

Gordon

FWIW, If you like the look of Ansel Adams photos taken with a 10" Wide Field Ektar on an 8x10, you can get an identically designed lens scaled for 4x5 in a Kodak 135mm Wide Field Ektar.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportera
    Ive been toying with the idea of adding a period lens to my Tachihara kit. ...
    What period would that be?

Heliar or Dynar might be a good "period lens", although they tend to be expensive. My 150mm Heliar with camera cost less than half of what a Heliar alone went for the next week, so you might consider something like that?

Tessars I think are too "consistent". They are good, and have always been. Except for coating, there are no really important diferences between a 1906 and a 2006 model.

Old Dagors have been mentioned, so I'll just add old Aplanats (or Rapid Rectilinears) too. For "less technical", Aplanat is the way to go.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A nice '30s Dagor/Angulon or Tessar will have a different 'spice' than contemporary glass; more savory, less astringent. Uncoated, so softer blacks, but both able to make 16x20s from Tri X.

I've got a feeling a 4 3/4" / 120mm Dagor / Angulon would suit you really well.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you might surf to equinoxphotographic from time to time.
    jc often has nice vintage/period lenses (and other goodies!) for good prices - and his service is great (he knows his "stuff" too ) ...!

a couple of the lenses mentioned you might find on
    his virtual shelf .

-john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a 168mm ser. iii Dagor, and in addition to being an older style of lens, it will give you miles of coverage (mine just covers 8x10" stopped down), so it's handy for architecturals.

A Heliar of around 210mm of course is a nice lens for portraits.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe the old Kodak lenses. Mainly stripped off cameras using old larger roll film sizes. Sometimes they can be found cheap. I've played with a 130 f7.7 and 108 f7.7 (2x3) and they are different.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Edward Weston seemed amused at the "newer is better" attitude of some fellow photographers. He used an off-brand Rapid Rectilinear for some of his greatest photos. It may have been made before he was born, and was obsolete before he had his first camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin