Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,206   Online: 955

Shooter
    4x5 Format

New to GG metering

Has anyone used a Minolta Booster 2 attachment for ground glass focusing? Any suggestions or advice is welcome.I also need to obtain a Minolta meter to use with this item so what should I be looking for?

I'm also planning to try "behind–the-lens" filtering for a change. Wouldn't GG focusing be ideal using this filter system? I presume there would be no need for bellows extension compensation and filter factors when using GG metering.

I've been curious about this type of metering for many years and
    eBay and the "D" revolution has made obtaining the above "tools" inexpensive and convenient!

Thanks in advance for your insight.
    Last edited by Changeling1; 06-05-2006 at 11:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: sp idea to ideal
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've looked into it. I think that behind-the-lens filtering is an EXCELLENT idea for EXACTLY the same reasons that ground glass metering is a simply AWFUL idea, except, possibly, under VERY controlled conditions. We're talking about stray light here. The 'in front of the ground glass' probe solutions are somewhat better... but still problematic I would think.

J

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've got one, but haven't used it lately. The idea is good, but you need to shade the groundglass while using it.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd think it would be far more convenient to use a metering probe rather than the ground glass unit.

If you've not seen the Sinar probe and metering back... do yourself a favor and look into that possibility too. And, if your camera doesn't have the capability to accept a metering back... then Sinar use to have a cassette that inserts into the film back just like a regular filmholder. Then, you'd slip the probe into the cassette holder to take the reading...

And, the best thing is... it takes into account the filter and bellows factors if required.

Cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny
    I'd think it would be far more convenient to use a metering probe rather than the ground glass unit.
    His unit doesn't have a probe. The Minolta Booster 2, which I have as well, is an attachment for Minolta Flash III meter, that is used by pointing it at the subject through the groundglass. It has an adjustment wheel that you use to compensate for the groundglass itself.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    His unit doesn't have a probe. The Minolta Booster 2, which I have as well, is an attachment for Minolta Flash III meter, that is used by pointing it at the subject through the groundglass. It has an adjustment wheel that you use to compensate for the groundglass itself.
    Hi Rob,

Yes, I realize that he doesn't have the probe that I mentioned. My posting essentially suggested the use of a probe as being more convenient than the Booster 2, which I also had at one time.

Personally, the Sinar probe arrangement is more convenient to use partly because you don't really need to worry about stray light affecting the exposure reading. When using the cassette... once you position the probe and are ready to take the reading, the insert covers off the groundglass. Voila... you're good to go!

Cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Thanks everyone for the information

Here's a picture of the Booster 11 and its dial. I wonder how difficult it would be to use this set - up under a darkcloth? I guess I'll find out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 06_12.jpg  
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just make sure you do the calibration that's required... check your instructions. And, as Rob stated... make sure your ground glass is well shaded to avoid any errant readings.

Have fun and let us know how things turn out.

Cheers

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin