Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,546   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My "New" Focusing Lupe

Well I may not have done as well as David b for his new enlarger, but I made a purchase of a new focusing lupe over at eBay yesterday.

Having just recently replaced my Ground Glass of my Linhof Technikardan 45S with a new Satin Snow Ground Glass I wanted another focusing lupe to take the place of my trusty 7X Wista Hood Lupe. The Wista is one of those extendable lupes that allows for work with a Hood. The lupe is long with good optics. But, I wanted something to take its place and something that would work well with the about 1 stop brighter, finer grained Satin Snow GG with and without my Linhof Fresnel Screen.

I know that most of you use a lupe in the 4X - 6X range, but with the new GG I thought an 8X might do the trick.

I had an order (backorder) for an 8X Silvestri Lupe for almost 3 months and finally decided to find an alternative.

So I had been watching 3 Schneider lupes over at eBay:

I lost the bid on the this one:

http://tinyurl.com/pqycu

Watched this one close a short time ago:

http://tinyurl.com/pluwz

This is the one that I won yesterday:

http://tinyurl.com/mq3kn

I think that my won Lupe should prove a great asset and didn't cost me that much. By the way I cancelled the order on the Silvestri lupe.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Let me know how it works out. I'm using a Toyo 3.6X - I was thinking about upgrading.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Let me know how it works out. I'm using a Toyo 3.6X - I was thinking about upgrading.
    Robert,

No problem. As I had mentioned to you in the past, the Satin Snow Ground Glass (I can't recall but I thought that you said you had one as well) was about 1 stop brighter and a finer surface than the original Linhof screen. The finer grind to the glass and the about 1 stop brighter viewing have made it much easier to focus my slower Rodenstock f6.8 75mm and 90mm Rodenstock Grandagon N MC, Rodenstock f9.0 240mm, 300mm, 360mm Apo Ronar (240 & 300 are MC), and my Nikon f 11/f16 500/720mm ED T lenses. Viewing under a good focusing cloth with this new ground glass is a definite improvement.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Wow! It weights 1 1/2 pounds! Thats quite alot of extra weight to carry around.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh
    Wow! It weights 1 1/2 pounds! Thats quite alot of extra weight to carry around.
    Perhaps the seller just wanted to inflate the purchase price a bit.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The plot thickens. As it turns out, I was the second highest bidder on the first lupe:

http://tinyurl.com/pqycu

I received an e-mail from the seller of that item last evening at about 7:28PM Eastern time indicating that the winner of the lupe had not responded or made payment. The seller inquired whether I was still interested and if I were he was going to offer me a 2nd chance offer. Since I had already purchased the poorer condition but less expensive lupe I declined. I know some of you may have question regarding the seller and whether or not someone was trying to...... But, I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt, he appears to have a good strong history and is honest.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is no way to determine, absolutely, the honesty of the seller; however this "Second Best Bidder" ploy is a well recognized "inflate" system. The seller is not satisfied with the bidding, so s/he claims to receive an unreasonably high bid (which does not exist) with the inevitable outcome of, "The buyer did not honor their commitment - so, seeing that YOU are interested ... I'll give you a marvelous chance to `come close' to the value established by Mr. Unfortunately-did-not-complete-the-transaction". Done with the hope of receiving a LOT more than the seller would have received if the actual high bid had been accepted.

I am not very happy with eBay. While NOT statistically valid, I have had a couple of unfortunate experiences where I pulled out all the stops and complained wide open, availing myself of every type of "consumer protection" listed - so far, the only thing that has actually worked was to effect a "chargeback" through MasterCard. That said, my complaints had *no* significant effect on the seller's rating; (99.4% or 98.0%) seemed to stay much the same.

Hmmm... Interesting!!! Out of curiousity, I reviewed the comments directed to this SELLER. A significant number of them contained the same mistake - referring to the SELLER as a BUYER ... ; "Great buyer, eager and salivating to do business with him again, as soon as possible."

I feel like a teacher, correcting papers, and discovering the same error made on many of them. I wonder if there is some kind of 'padding" going on...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Myself I use a Cabin 4x loupe. Its the exact same loupe marketed by Mamiya in the USA, at about half the price!

Leo's in Vancouver BC can probably sell you one. Mine was something like $75 Canadian. I didn't find the Schneiders impressive in comparison - optically just as good but the cabin is all metal, not plastic construction.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've used all kinds of loupes in the past but have now settled on a Horseman 6x loupe that is in a length and shape similar to the Toyo model. I did try a Schneider loupe but, like Mike, didn't care for it all that much.

I bought it at a very reasonable price. It's now what I use 95% of the time on Dave's SatinSnow gg for both my 4x5 and 5x7 cameras. I'll most likely order one for the new 8x10 that I've just picked up as well.

Rich, you don't find the 8x strength magnifies the groundglass too much? And, was that a Sylvestri tilting loupe that you had on order?

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny
    I've used all kinds of loupes in the past but have now settled on a Horseman 6x loupe that is in a length and shape similar to the Toyo model. I did try a Schneider loupe but, like Mike, didn't care for it all that much.

I bought it at a very reasonable price. It's now what I use 95% of the time on Dave's SatinSnow gg for both my 4x5 and 5x7 cameras. I'll most likely order one for the new 8x10 that I've just picked up as well.

Rich, you don't find the 8x strength magnifies the groundglass too much? And, was that a Sylvestri tilting loupe that you had on order?

Cheers
    This whole thing is getting a bit weird. Subsequent to my last posting, I got another e-mail from the seller of the initially posted Schneider lupe asking me if we can do something. He is supposed to be selling all his Contax 645 etc. equipment to do a 200 mile I believe trek through China with a 4x5.

In any case, getting back to the several comments. First, I do not know if the lupe that won which I have yet to receive is in fact made of metal or plastic.

I did want something lighter than my 7X Wista Hood Lupe that weighed about 5 oz. I have used the 7X lupe for some years, though it would pick up the "concentric" rings on the Fresnel Lens and the grind of the Linhof GG in most instances, it was certainly doable for focus.

With Dave's new Satin Snow Ground Glass, focusing is certainly easier and brighter with the about 1 stop gain in brightness and the finer grind. That is both with and without the Fresnel lens in place. Focusing to this point with the Satin Snow GG has been with the 7X Wista Hood Lupe.

With the added brightness of the Satin Snow GG and finer grind I really do not believe that the increase from a 7X to an 8X magnification will make that much of a difference. I need to get critical focus as best I can though because I frequently sell images that are 24" x 30", some 30" x 38" and the potential for 40" x 50" Chromira/Lightjet prints all from 4X5.

No, I had special ordered a straight 8X Silvestri Lupe from Bromwell (this is listed in the Silvestri catalog, but not imported into the US). It was not the tilting lupe. Part of the problem with the set-up of the Linhof Technikardan 45S is that the Fresnel Lens is closest to the photographer. I like that set-up (this gives the photographer an easier time if he wishes to work with or without the Fresnel Lens). The problem with the metal Lupes (including the tilting 6X Silvestri Lupe) is the potential for damage/scratching of the soft Fresnel material. I know that there are ways around the problem of the metal against the plastic lens, but I wanted something that would be a little easier on the Fresnel lens. That was the reason for looking at the plastic Silvestri 8X Lupe or in the case of the Schneider 8X lupe that I won on eBay. The Schneider Lupe has a "gasket" at the bottom of the Lupe that will protect the Fresnel Lens. That is true, whether the Lupe housing is plastic or metal.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin