Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,575   Posts: 1,545,710   Online: 740

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Another 8X10 lens for the "never Sell" list...

The other day I bought an entire camera to get a lens that I'd not seen before. It's a Wollensak Ex. WA f12.5 6 1/2 X 8 1/2 lens. The 8X10 159mm version is common as dirt but the smaller size is unusual. I checked my 1936 Wolly catalog and according to them, it covers 8X10 at smaller apertures. It's a diminutive 135mm lens in a Betax 3 shutter. So yesterday I seized opportunity and set off through Nevada's out back. I used it just once (I'm a poor wide angle man). At about 24" away from an early '50's Packard Clipper, I basically got the entire car in with some purposeful distortions for effect. Souped the Ektapan last evening and had a critical look this AM. In EV 16 glaring desert sun with chrome glinting, that little lens performed stunningly. I could select a 6X7cm area out of that neg most anywhere and make a 16X20 enlargement that would hold up perfectly.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    good story....Jim you gotta be careful sneaking up on old Packards like that!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    good story....Jim you gotta be careful sneaking up on old Packards like that!
    This one's been slumbering in the weeds for some time...

Clipper
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Great image Jim. I love it.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Nice shot Jim, by the way nice scoop on the heliar. I almost hit the button on that one.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Beautiful Jim.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    how much did you say you wanted for that lens?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks all. A vote from a chrome only guy! Cool. Read my lips Dave Did your 'stigmat come. I used mine on the 12X20 same day. Have movements galore with that little lens. And it's sharp as all get out too.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin