Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,693   Online: 849

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks to Rich, too, for his advice. The camera has gone back to the seller by mutual agreement - I paid £300, in line with my usual policy of trying to get the very best which will work right out of the box and not require me to search forever for parts. I too have a Nikkor 135 so was not swayed by the lens.

One interesting point - I thought I had seen the rangefinder described as electronic, it seemed to be all-mechanical, with a "computer" function which allows a flash guide number (in feet) to be dialed in to indicate the required aperture as a function of distance. Also, as regards lens boards, I did try to fit a regular pressed-metal Pacemaker-type board and it seemed to be fine. This of course would not allow use of the electrical shutter release, however as the Graflex 1000 shutter seemed to be quite bit clunkier than a regular leaf shutter, I probably wouldn't have used this.

Just how much "electronics" does the camera have? It would seem just a solenoid to release the shutter - can't quite see the advantage of this over a normal cable release in an anatomical grip. It would make for a faster lens change in press photography situations, with no need to hook up the cable release, but I understand only 2 lenses were ever made with the circuitry for electric release (the 135 and a 270 Tele-Optar?).

Thanks once again to all offerers of advice - this process has been a crash course in Super Graphic familiarization for me, fortunately without financial pain!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David-
    the rangefinder is purely mechanical. The electric part is the solenoid lens shutter release. The two 22.5v batteries are for this - push the red shutter release button on the upper left of the body. Also works through the Graflex flash gun and finally, it is easy to make a modern electric contact shutter release for tripod work.
    The regular Speed and Crown lens boards fit, but have their "bosses" on the top and bottom. Super boards use "bosses" on the sides. Graflex put the bosses on both top and bottom and sides after the Super was released. You can use old Speed boards on a Super but will have to stamp the bosses in or the board will be loose on the camera.
    Only the 135 and 270 lenses were released in the 1000 shutter but virtually any lens (except the 65mm and 380 plus perhaps a few others at the extremes) could be fitted in an "electric" release Super board. On many the flash contacts were through the board, other, usually larger lens, only the shutter release was through the "electric" board, flash was off the regular shutter contact.
    After Singer folded Graflex about 1972 Toyo bought the rights and tooling and presumably the spare parts for the Super Graphic and re-released it as the Toyo Super Graphic about 1982 with few changes. It didn't last too long.

The Super Graphic is truly a great field camera - one worth finding a complete, excellent + example to use.

bart

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bart Nadeau
    The regular Speed and Crown lens boards fit, but have their "bosses" on the top and bottom. Super boards use "bosses" on the sides. Graflex put the bosses on both top and bottom and sides after the Super was released. You can use old Speed boards on a Super but will have to stamp the bosses in or the board will be loose on the camera.
    Thanks for the info, Bart. Almost all my boards are modern reproduction boards (black finish) with small bosses at top and bottom and larger ones at the side. I am still trying to figure out the practical advantage of the electrical release over a cable release - the beauty of a regular leaf shutter is that all movements of parts are symmetrical, making for very low vibration. As I said, the 1000 shutter seems clunky in comparison. Seems like an answer to a question no one asked. I think I'd rather have the "FocuSpot" feature of the Crown Special, where the batteries in the rangefinder allow you to project two light beams on the subject and focus in total darkness.

Regards,

David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin