Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,676   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Dan,

I have many Schneider lenses and it only ever happened to a lens that was stored in a very damp basement over the winter. Other stuff that was stored there was also damaged.

The lens is like new after I had the lacquer reapplied.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used both lacquer and enamel to repaint the sides of lenses, I prefer a couple thin coats of lacquer. To me enamel seems to go on too thickly. Yes, even when I try to apply light coats.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi
    Dan,

I have many Schneider lenses and it only ever happened to a lens that was stored in a very damp basement over the winter. Other stuff that was stored there was also damaged.

The lens is like new after I had the lacquer reapplied.
    I think that my lens was not so carefully stored by the previous owner: it smells and has Schneideritis. But it is a new lens I purchased from ebay for a very good price. It came in its original box and papers, was in a paper sort of lens board. But the box smelled, the lens smelled and there are bubbles.
    Probably it was stored in a not so healthy place (something like a bad wine cellar...) that's why Schneideritis came.
    Do you think I have to send it to Schneiders? It is not pricy? I do not think that those bubbles affects the quality of my images, I was afraid Schneideritis will get worse and worse causing other problems
    Thank you
    Crst

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "Schneideritis" causes no known problems. I have no idea what causes it, but in my experience Schneider lenses seem to be less susceptible than those of Rodenstock and Zeiss. or maybe I don't have enough lenses of the afflicted vintages?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Carsten,

I agree with Ole... it's not a big deal! And, if the lens were mine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Since it's in your possession, why not take it out and expose some film to make absolute sure that there IS no impact. That's what I'd do.

Lastly, even if a lens is well taken care of, the Schneideritis could still happen!

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin