Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,486   Posts: 1,571,303   Online: 785

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lens opinion please

I have the chance to get a very nice looking 19 inch Red Dot Artar in an Iilex shutter but really know little about this lens.

I'm considering it for 5x4 only so want to know if it will be a sharp lens for that format.

Any information will be appreciated.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve, it will cover up to 11x14. So 4x5 is no sweat. It is razor sharp.

Jason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chiller
    I have the chance to get a very nice looking 19 inch Red Dot Artar in an Iilex shutter but really know little about this lens.

I hope you've got a lot of bellows draw on your 5x4....

Shooter
    Large Format
    ..a real lot With a 12" lens on my 4x5 speed graphic, my bellows is maxed out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    same with a 5x4 Wista 300mm (12") is the max unless it's a Tele lens which has a much shorter back focus.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format

red dot artar, 19 inch

whoa: a 483 mm lens on a 4x5 would require one hell of a bellows.

Fyi we heard from the Playboy photographer last week at the View Camera
    Conference in Chicago.

They used red dot artars and Commercial Ektars, because in their opinion they were not as sharp as modern lenses.

I have no opinion on who's the sharpest, depends on what the need is.

check the bellows first. you would need at least 500mm draw, maybe 530.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    {echo need for sufficient bellows draw}

I have a 16 1/2" Red Dot Artar, also in an Ilex #4 shutter, and like it a lot. Carol Miller just did a CLA on the shutter, and I'm anxious to put the lens to use again.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Again, I am shocked, My choice for nearly 50 years was Red Dot Artars and they certainly were not chosen because they were soft/sharp! Me thinks something is mistakenly wrong about this statement.

Charlie..........................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not used an Artar or a Ronar focused at infinity where the focal length was much less than twice the long side of the negative. For example, in 4x5 I would use an 8 1/4 inch (210mm) or larger; for 8x10, a 19 inch (480mm) or larger, etc.

If you stop down to f22, or less, you probably can use shorter focal length lenses and I am not sure that twice the short side of the negative wouldn't work as well as a minimum length. But, I haven't tried that, so I can't say.

Given the limitation in focal length for the format, I can't see much difference between a modern lens and an Artar or a Ronar in the same focal length. The only concern being having enough bellows extension for the longer focal lengths.

For focusing at distances shorter than infinity, you can use shorter focal lengths for a given format. I haven’t tried it, so I can’t say how much shorter, but, since you would be expanding the image circle, you would be increasing the diameter of the distortion free center. That is, after all, how these lenses were designed to be used and in that use they were described as having “zero distortion”. That ought to be pretty sharp. If you look at the old brochures, they were rated for the size negative they would cover, without movements, at 1:1. The 19" Red Dot Artar was claimed to have zero distortion for up to a 20x24 negative.

If you need a long lens in your format and you are not bothered by a slower speed lens, then an Artar or a Ronar will get you something very sharp with excellent color and contrast for less cost, bulk and weight. Just remember that, if the lens is in a barrel, the cost of mounting it in a shutter is not cheap and price it accordingly.

It would be an excellent lens on an 8x10---a classic! I have one and it is as sharp as they come. The problem with using one on a 4x5, as others have pointed out, is the need for bellows length which most 4x5s don't have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin