Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,472   Online: 966

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images

Painting the insides of wooden film holders

I just bought some new wooden holders and am considering painting the inside of them flat black. Is there any particular brand/type of paint I should use and how long does it take the holders to dry?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Someone may correct me, but I've had good luck using black acrylic paint from my wife's kit (she is a painter). It dries quite flat, does not stink, is easy to remove from skin, and is relativly cheap in quantity. I've painted the insides of cameras and lens boards with it and it's held up well.

- Randy

P.S. This stuff dries fast too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "New wooden holders" - and they aren't already flat black?

For touch-up painting, I've always used either flat or glossy black enamel in the little plastic tubes from the auto parts store. Fast drying, and comes complete with a brush inside the cap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When Dick Phillips sold me some Lotus holders to go with a camera he made and I asked him to blacken the holders' light traps and film opening edges, he used an aniline dye he normally applies to the edges of leather straps.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Diane,

It was good seeing you at the conference...

What part do you want to paint? The guide rails? Inside the light trap? The septum?

I wouldn't use paint, as some paints have a tendency to get tacky with heat or humidity. I would use a dye or a permanent marker to do the job depending on the situation. I have used a permanent marker on all of my light traps, and I consider that to be the way to go for sure.

If I remember correctly, the 5x12 holders you have should have been blackened by markers inside the light trap.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    ......I've had good luck using black acrylic paint from my wife's kit (she is a painter)......
    I've used flat black acrylic paint from the art store, too. But I would not use it again, because the paint went on thick (the stuff I bough had high solids content), and never did feel completely dry. I think I would use a black Magic Marker or Sharpie.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    I just bought some new wooden holders and am considering painting the inside of them flat black. Is there any particular brand/type of paint I should use and how long does it take the holders to dry?
    Hi Diane,

I have painted my holders with school chalkboard acrylic matt black paint. It dried in about 15 minutes and the brush cleans with water. One coat did the trick.

Barry
    Last edited by BarryWilkinson; 06-13-2006 at 03:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They were, Michael. I bought some new holders at the conference. I was going to black them out in the same areas as the ones you used. Thanks to all for your replies.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Diane,

OK. In that case, get a black permanent marker. The last thing you want is any possibility of tackiness in the light trap, as it will gum up the darkslide.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin