Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,652   Online: 764

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Camera for 669 instant film

Hey all. I just purchased a SX-70 folding camera, very cool, because I wanted to do some manipulations. Much to my dismay, Polaroid stopped manufacturing of the SX-70 film as many of you are aware (shakes fist) I also have a Polaroid one-step instant camera. I now desire to do some emulsion lifts, and my question is... with either of my camera take the 669 film required for emulsion lifts (either with or without modification.) Thanks all, happy shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neither of those will work with the peel apart pack films (669,690,et al). If you want a high quality and fairly low cost camera for manipulations with peel apart films, then a 250 Automatic is an excellent choice. That has a very good glass elements lens, metal body, auto exposure, and easy to use rangefinder focus. The 100, 350, 360 and 450 Automatic models were similar to the 250.

What I found works well is a Polaroid printer. There are the DayLab models, the Vivitar, and a somewhat less common Sunpak version. These would usually cost more than a camera like the 250 Automatic, but the benefit is being able to try a few times on the same image. They all work sort of the same, taking a slide (usually 35mm) and projecting it onto the film.

Something substantially more expensive would be to get a 4x5 camera, and a Polaroid type 405 back. You could also try to find the larger type 500 back, or the newer Fuji pack film holders for 4x5 cameras. then there are individual sheet film Polaroids, still possible to manipulate' those require a type 545 back. Polaroid also makes 8x10 peel apart films, but unless you don't mind spending tons of cash before figuring out manipulations, it is probably easier to stick with the smaller pack films.

Just a note on Polaroid peel apart films. Type 669 is the most commonly used for manipulations, though not the only choice. In emulsion lifts, 669 is the easiest, though some people have good results with the B/W films. Doing emulsion transfers (rollering, basically) works with most of the Polaroid films, 669 being the easiest, and 690 being the most vibrant colours. Fuji Instant films are not very consistent, and quite difficult to get to transfer; I have yet to get good results with any Fuji Instant films used these ways, even super hot boiling water seems to have no affect.

Anyway, enjoy your manipulations. It can be an interesting, if somewhat unpredictable endeavor.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

669 film?

Hi all!! I just got out of college for the summer and now have time to work in my darkroom. Since its been a while my chemicals are pretty much dead, so I decided to branch out into Polaroid instant film! I just bought a SX-70 camera because I want to try some manipulations I did years back in a workshop, but alas, I just found out the news... no more SX-70 film. So, I also have a Polaroid one-step instant camera. I still would like to try some emulsion lifts and image transfers with some 669 film. My question is, are either of these cameras (the SX-70 or the one-step) adaptable for use with 669 film? I guess part two is, are there any films available which I can do emulsion lifts with that will fit into either of the cameras I have?? Thanks and happy shooting.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the time zero camera can be "fixed " to use 600 film, but i don't think 669.

Check polaroids site , or if you have a copy of Kathleen Carr's book you should find a lot of specifics there.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, worldbmd.

You don't need to start different versions of the same thread. One of the other moderators deleted one of them, and I've merged these two. They all show up in the "new posts" view, so just post once, and people will see it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by worldbmd
    H. My question is, are either of these cameras (the SX-70 or the one-step) adaptable for use with 669 film? I guess part two is, are there any films available which I can do emulsion lifts with that will fit into either of the cameras I have?? Thanks and happy shooting.
    Unfortunately the two cameras you have cannot be modified to use the 6XX film. The film pack is larger, thicker and requires the rollers to process. Best bet was suggested above. Get a 250 or =.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Welcome to APUG, worldbmd.

You don't need to start different versions of the same thread. One of the other moderators deleted one of them, and I've merged these two. They all show up in the "new posts" view, so just post once, and people will see it.

Thanks for the tip. I posted once and didn't think that it went through, so I posted again. Thanks everyone else too for setting my straight, I'm going to go and browse around for a camera, and pending how things go I might save up for a Vivitar... I've had my eye on one for quite some time now

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin