Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,919   Online: 882

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by slewis
    I don't have a Linhof but Pliobond
    Looking at the info sheet it looks like the mastic we use to glue our tires onto rims. I'm not quite sure one wants this kind of tackness on our cameras.. sure it would work.. Shellac too..
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

pliobond?

can i get any of these things in stores or do i have to order them? I live in a pretty big city. what is Bloomgrams? a way to measure glue stickiness or something. I am interested in something that is not so srong that i cant take the piece of later if the camera needs work

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Mr. Zimmerman,

You are better informed than I; I bow to your superior knowledge (I shall now have to Google 'Bloomgrams').

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

not me edz said something about bloomgrams

bloomgrams is ameasure of elasticity in the glue, but how does that relate to camera re glueing?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had the same problem of the leatherette pealing off with my Technika. I tried contact cement with mixed results. I finally bought some 3M Double Sided Tape from Micro-Tools. I took the leatherette pieces off the camera, cleaned them off and applied the double sided tape to the pieces. It took some time but it worked with great results. I highly recommend it!

Good luck with your project,

Scott

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can find Pliobond at a hardware store or auto parts store. I know camera repair techs who use it for this purpose.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycletricycle
    bloomgrams is ameasure of elasticity in the glue, but how does that relate to camera re glueing?
    Its more a measure of gel strength. For glueing leather to metal camera bodies one wants a cement that is strong but not too strong (since one wants to remove it without destroying the leather having it break at the bond), that's thin (don't want clumps under thin leather), does not maintain too much its stickyness once the bond gets broken (to not have it move about and collect gunk like fly paper), to dry slowly, be water soluble (we don't why volatile solvents), not gas out (why superglues are the last cement one would ever want to bring near a camera).... and, I guess, that does not encourage the growth of moulds or fungus and feeding of parasites.

Glues are a big chapter. Casein glues too are very popular (the white glue found in Elmar's brand tubs) and very strong and low in stress (related to how it dries). Buch binders tend to like to use glue made from bovine (cow) collagen.

Recall that camera leather is often meant to be peeled back or removed as part of servicing and maintenance. Sometimes even adjustment screws, for example to recalibrate focus, are hidden behind the leather.

Loads of glues are not meant to have their bonds be as easily broken. The auto industry, for example, use some very strong contact adhesives. Yes.. they hold.. but its like using Loctite on your jam nuts.. not always what one wants..
    Edward C. Zimmermann

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edz
    Looking at the info sheet it looks like the mastic we use to glue our tires onto rims. I'm not quite sure one wants this kind of tackness on our cameras.. sure it would work..
    I once tried Pastali rim cement on my Technika - It glued the leather back on fine, but eventually I think it dried out too much and got brittle, and broke loose.

I've used a contact cement that I bought at the local cobbler's shop and that has worked fine.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    I once tried Pastali rim cement on my Technika - It glued the leather back on fine, but eventually I think it dried out too much and got brittle, and broke loose.
    Pastali is a horrible rim cement. Its got a lot of solvent and some latex mixed in and that's why its a favorite to patch latex tubes but not to mount tyres. On carbon rims I do mix some contact cement into the mix if I don't have any of my "magic" potion--- ICS Gutoral--- available.

I've used a contact cement that I bought at the local cobbler's shop and that has worked fine.
    The stuff intended to glue rubber soles contains volatile and in some cases even nasty solvents like acetone. You might want to use it as ersatz tubular cement but I'd not use it on the camera--- where I have used it was on remounting rubber and leather to tripods.
    Edward C. Zimmermann

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now, where can I find leather to match the gray on my Super Technika V? I guess the color is actually closer to taupe. I've heard it described as tan, but it's like no tan that I've ever seen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin