Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,735   Online: 789

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contact cement is (a) difficult to remove, for example if you need to peel the leather up to service the camera, and (b) it shrinks which can pull the leather very tight against the body and show every flaw underneith.

I normally use Pliobond after cleaning the leather.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

I use that tufo two sided tape for my tubs

strage that people are talking about bicycles, those are my favorite things besides cameras. I wouldnt have thought to use tubular glue on my camera.

Rather than speculate as to what works why not start with what Linhof recommends?

Linhof advises a specific brand of double stick tape because it can be cut to exact dimensions and is perfectly uniform when applied. There is no way I would use any free glue for this application because of the fact that if you need to re-do the job you are going to have to clean off the back of the leatherett as opposed to pealing off the double stick tape and starting over. Clean and easy.

I know a friend that purchased this tape for this exact application and his Linhof looks like it came from the factory. Sure he has some left over and knows the brand if you are interested. Use the right product and do the job one time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edz
    On carbon rims
    Carbon rims - wow! I'm living in the past. I was gluing up Dourdoigne tubulars onto Arc-en-Ciel rims. The Dourdoignes were crap. I don't think I ever got more than 200 miles on one before a blowout. So I guess the Pastali was a good match... This was all around 1984 or so.

I bought a case of Pastali (20 tubes) back then and I still have about 5 tubes left, so I'm always trying to find uses for it!

Kirk - www.keyesphoto.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Edz - have you ever made it up to Dusseldorf and ride with Ralf and Florian from Kraftwerk?

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    Carbon rims - wow! I'm living in the past. I was gluing up Dourdoigne tubulars onto Arc-en-Ciel rims.
    I normally ride rims in the 400g class like Mavic Montherly-pros, Fiamme Reds etc. They are, however, much heavier than these:

(a picture from Smithsonian's Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum)
    --- when the WC football game is over (right now the streets seems to be continously covered in glass) I might take them back onto the streets with the last of my silks (yes, to the unitiated there are silk tyres).

The Dourdoignes were crap. I don't think I ever got more than 200 miles on one before a blowout. So I guess the Pastali was a good match... This was all around 1984 or so.
    By the 1980s I moved over pretty much to Continental. These days I ride whatever I have around.

It does not matter much since I'm typically pulling a kiddie trailer-- and the little ones are getting heavy, pushing with the tailer now a good 60 kg.-- so its moot to talk about rolling resistance or aerodynamics.. but still.

My daily ride has right now some special magenta coloured Competitions that were riden once by a not to be named ex-team sprinter.. Before these I had some Vittoria tires.. the same model I rode and found junk.. but these from an Italian team were really good and I rode them literally untill they fell apart and the rubber wore out..
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

tufo makes the best tubs IMHO

I really like tufos, they are tubeless and i use there sealent to fix flats. They ride nice and i dont get many flats. I also use the tufo two sided tape which unfortunately would not work on my camera. I have tubs on my fixed gear street bike. ceramic reflex on phil woods with big bladed spokes

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edz
    By the 1980s I moved over pretty much to Continental.
    Nice wheels! By that time, a friend was using Continentals and pumping them up to 200 psi as they claimed they would go that high in the ads. I think I went to Vittorias after the Dourdoignes and then I gave up on competitive cycling... Now I'm on clinchers for riding. Still have the Arc-en-Ciels in the basement.

Now that we've hijacked the thread - How do you guys think that Ulrich will do in the Tour? I'm hoping for Basso to take the yellow, as I'd like to see a return to the days when top riders try to win more than just the Tour de France every year, (i.e. Lance).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

ULRICH will win

I like that he has not given up and keeps trying every year, I really think it would be a good lesson for the kids if that determination gets him another win. Basso looks good, floyd looks tough, a lot of talent this year, a lot of early mornings in front of the TV.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycletricycle
    I really like tufos, they are tubeless and i use there sealent to fix flats. They ride nice and i dont get many flats. I also use the tufo two sided tape
    I would not use tape. Get good mastic.

- http://www.bsn.com/cycling/tubulars.html (my own ramblings)
    - http://www.bsn.com/cycling/articles/cements.html (Calvin Jones and Colin S. Howat)
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin