Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,548   Online: 1127

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Fixing Holder Leaks on the Flap Side

Hello All,

Having gotten a bunch of holders w my camera, I tested them for light leaks w paper and most of the wooden ones leak from the loading flap side, none from the darkslide side. One has torn tape holding the flap, but the others have intact tape. What's the best way to fix these leaks? Do they usually have to do w wood that doesn't fit together right after all these years, or is it usually tape-related? All help appreciated,

GB

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Replace the tape with Library tape from a bookbinder.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel
    Replace the tape with Library tape from a bookbinder.
    Hi GB,

I agree with Jim... bookbinding tape is the best since it doesn't gum up in hot weather.

Don't go the route of duct tape even though it's tempting... it'll gum up like crazy during the summer months. Or, at least, that's what I found from a bit of experience when I first got started.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a link for Book binding/repair tape : http://www.gaylordmart.com/listing.a...d+Spine+Repair

--John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    You seem to have posted this at every LF site on the web and I've answered it twice elsewhere but for the benefit of those who only look here - the tape doesn't keep out light, it isn't there for that purpose, the only purpose of the tape is to serve as a hinge for the flap, so light leaks won't be fixed by replacing the tape. Also, no special tape is required for a film holder, any tape will work fine as long as it holds the flap securely, is sufficiently flexible and (if you photograph in extreme heat) won't gum up. There are many many kinds of tape that will meet these minimal criteria, most of which can be found at your local drugstore.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have had wooden holders that have leaked at the hinge. Most usually it is due to a separation at the joint of the holder body. I have repaired these by regluing this joint.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Donald,

How do you reglue the joint? Do you have to take it apart? Do you have pics by any chance? I'm almost ready to give up on them, but it seems a shame.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin