Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,816   Online: 1013

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Boy...i'm having some serious problems spelling lupe or was it loupe! Ahhhh!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the Cabin (Mamiya in the USA) 4x loupe. Cheap price as the Cabin ($$$ as Mamiya, same thing!), comes with clear and dark skirts. Metal construction. I think you have to go outside the USA to buy it in the Cabin brand. I compared it side by side with the Schneider and didn't hesitate a moment to forget about the plasticky Schneider.

I find if I go past 4x that I just get grain from the ground glass interfering with my focus judgement.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs
    I like the Cabin (Mamiya in the USA) 4x loupe. Cheap price as the Cabin ($$$ as Mamiya, same thing!), comes with clear and dark skirts. Metal construction. I think you have to go outside the USA to buy it in the Cabin brand. I compared it side by side with the Schneider and didn't hesitate a moment to forget about the plasticky Schneider.

I find if I go past 4x that I just get grain from the ground glass interfering with my focus judgement.
    Mike,

For some applications, size, weight and expense are a contributing factor. That is/has been part of my reason for this search.

As an example, no matter how good the performance of my Leica 5X Lupe, and as nice as it is with the rubber protector for the negatives/transparencies/ground glass, I would be reluctant to take it in the field for fear of damage or loss. It has a plastic housing and it is a beautiful, expensive, and exceptional performing lupe.

The size and weight issue is something for consideration for those carrying a lot of heavy gear- large format 4" x 5" and larger, a battery of lenses, film, dark cloth, meter, tripod, etc. any distance. And if you are backpacking with the equipment size and weight become a major issue and that very nice Cabin Lupe that you have may be too large or heavy to take.

As I have indicated the Horizon 4X Lupe or the Wista 7X Hood Lupe seem to fit my needs. Additionally Baxter Bradford responded to the previous thread and indicated that he believes that the 8X Schneider Lupe may the same one that he has been using very successfully for the last 2-3 years. That is a tiny, extraordinarily low weight lupe and I will have to examine its usage more carefully. It may very well prove a really practical item, certainly for certain applications. And that lupe is so small that there is very little flex to the what appears to be plastic housing- so it should prove to be quite strong, but I wouldn't recommend dropping or "running over" any lupe.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh
    My goodness! I've never seen anyone take focusing loupes so seriously! HAHA!

Personally, I've never seen the purpose of using one because I see just look at the ground glass and see if its in focus or not. If its a hair off, I always stop down the lens so its never a problem.

Maybe I will try using one the next time in the field, see if my prints come out sharper or if it helps. I just really dont want to carry extra crap in the field with me.
    I'm surprised that Ansel hasn't smote (smighted? smitten?) you down from afar for this practice. First, depth of field doesn't automatically fix all focusing errors. For depth of field to "work" something has to be in focus. How do you know anything is in focus? Or even if something is, how do you know it's what you wanted to be in focus? Second, you'd be surprised (I think) to see the difference between getting something in focus with just your eyes and getting it in focus with a loupe. I use magnifying glasses to rough focus and then fine focus with a loupe. It's rare that I don't make some slight change from what appeared to be in focus with the glasses and what is in focus with the loupe. Granted, my vision is no doubt not as good as others but it isn't bad either, especially for close ups with magnfiying glasses. Third, you don't want to carry extra "crap" in the field? In mentally going through the "crap" that's in my pack I can't offhand think of anything smaller and lighter than my loupe except maybe the pencil I use to make notes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm actually going to be shooting some 4x5 on my upcoming trip to Iceland with the intentions of enlarging them to 16x20. I have not shot 4x5 for many years, so it's become somewhat difficult to view such a tiny image on a tiny ground glass. The idea of using a loupe might be a good idea, since I want very sharp negatives for enlarging (ACK!).

I'm not sure what a decent loupe costs, so any suggestions for a very basic one that just "does the job", so to say?

My Agfa 4x loupe that I got before you were born might have cost me $5. It works when I use it, I don't always use one, like you. If I lose it in the field or step on it, no big deal. I read a post here or photonet a while back where someone suggested using the cheapo magnifying eye glasses at drug store....lots of options if you need one. I believe the Agfa is no longer made, but there are copies around ive seen at BH and Freestyle

Price some of the loupes, incredible, i'd rather spend the money on lenses or film. But the way some of these guys talk, they must get boners when looking through the loupes, perhaps I should take an expensive one for a test drive...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TomWB
    My Agfa 4x loupe that I got before you were born might have cost me $5. It works when I use it, I don't always use one, like you. If I lose it in the field or step on it, no big deal. I read a post here or photonet a while back where someone suggested using the cheapo magnifying eye glasses at drug store....lots of options if you need one. I believe the Agfa is no longer made, but there are copies around ive seen at BH and Freestyle

Price some of the loupes, incredible, i'd rather spend the money on lenses or film. But the way some of these guys talk, they must get boners when looking through the loupes, perhaps I should take an expensive one for a test drive...
    Tom,

From what I understand the Agfa Lupes were never known for having terribly good optics. Good sharp optics definitely help in getting and maintaining sharp focus. The Horizon Lupe that I have suggested is very sharp, has tremendous coverage of the ground glass, is what I would consider not that expensive and only sells for $41.95 new from B&H photo and for considerably less on eBay.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell
    I'm surprised that Ansel hasn't smote (smighted? smitten?) you down from afar for this practice. First, depth of field doesn't automatically fix all focusing errors. For depth of field to "work" something has to be in focus. How do you know anything is in focus? Or even if something is, how do you know it's what you wanted to be in focus? Second, you'd be surprised (I think) to see the difference between getting something in focus with just your eyes and getting it in focus with a loupe. I use magnifying glasses to rough focus and then fine focus with a loupe. It's rare that I don't make some slight change from what appeared to be in focus with the glasses and what is in focus with the loupe. Granted, my vision is no doubt not as good as others but it isn't bad either, especially for close ups with magnfiying glasses. Third, you don't want to carry extra "crap" in the field? In mentally going through the "crap" that's in my pack I can't offhand think of anything smaller and lighter than my loupe except maybe the pencil I use to make notes.
    I have preety good eyes and can see the ground glass just fine to focus. However, I've only been making 8x10 contact prints, but can take a loupe to the negatives or prints and they are tack sharp.

With shooting 8x10 and 11x14, I don't want to carry more stuff into the field then needed to make an image. Some people carry calculators, notebooks, rulers, ect...and I've never found that stuff to be needed. Although a loupe is not big, nor heavy...its just one more thing that has to drift around at the bottom of the pack. Every little thing adds up.

I'm still going to try one out when shooting 4x5 this summer, because I think it might be useful when viewing the tiny ground glass.

Regards,

Ryan McIntosh
    www.RyanMcIntosh.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    Mike,

For some applications, size, weight and expense are a contributing factor. That is/has been part of my reason for this search.

Rich
    Sure thing - to each his/her own preferences. I spend most of my photography time shooting nature photography in the field, so its a concept not lost on me. In my case, my HEAVY Calumet monorail is the real hindrance, not 1 oz more of weight of loupe. My medium format SLR is much more portable though I do love those big 4x5 transparencies.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    When I was hauling LF (4x5 Arca Swiss and Speed Graphic) I used a linen tester I got from a girlfriend and it worked well for me. Neither cameras, linen tester nor girlfriend is around my house anymore so take it for what it's worth.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm actually going to be shooting some 4x5 on my upcoming trip to Iceland with the intentions of enlarging them to 16x20. I have not shot 4x5 for many years, so it's become somewhat difficult to view such a tiny image on a tiny ground glass. The idea of using a loupe might be a good idea, since I want very sharp negatives for enlarging (ACK!).
    It might be a tiny format and a tiny screen, but I'm willing to bet that I make much bigger prints with my tiny camera than you do with your big one. 16x20 - what a tiny print.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin